Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever use those versi-tip lines that Rio advertises?
Seems a tad expensive for what they are but if it makes life a little easier what the heck, thinking about one for my 8wt but I don't know. Comments.

· Registered
516 Posts
I've used multiple versi-tip lines from Rio, SA and Orvis. All three brands performed fairly well. My only complaint and the reason I now carry extra spools is because the connection loops tend to hang on the tip top of your rod which at times led to lost fish.

The two advantages I see in multitip lines would be space, it much easier to stash away a leader wallet with multiple tips rather than 2 ex spools. Secondly they are much easier in the pocket book once you consider the price of spools and lines.

· Registered
152 Posts
I have one on my 8 weight also and have enjoyed it. The welded loops seem to break off after time(which happens to me a lot on Rio lines) but that is easy to fix. Overall I like not having to bring extra spools especially when I am fishing light for steelhead.

· Registered
271 Posts
i have a rio versitip for my 7wt xp and i absolutely hate casting the loop to loop connection through the guides. trying to shoot line or haul line and those loops sticking in the guides is incredibly agitating to me so i figured out what lines i was actually going to use and bought them in full line. the versitip collects dust.

· NEVER wonder what to do with your free time
985 Posts
I had one on an 8wt also. I spent a lot of time casting it in saltwater, from the beach. I replaced it with a Rio Outbound and was much happier with performance when casting for distance. The replacement was on the recommendation of the Rio rep (ran into him at a shop). He told me that the Versatip line was developed as a versatile tool for river fishing, not so much for distance. Food for thought from the man himself.....

· flyfishing addict
416 Posts
I have read thru the posts above and agree with most of their observations about the Versa Tip. All in all I have liked not having to get a crapload of spools with different lines on them. I sometimes have found the connection between the lines to get caught up in the ferrules, but not always and it usually happens to me towards the end of the day after my casts aren't as crisp. I have used these lines for both Beach and River fishing. I haven't alot of complaints. I also heard good things about the Rio Outbound for beach fishing. But for saving space and overall I paid the price for this line and so far have been alot more impressed with their line connections than other multi-tip lines.

· Registered
1,339 Posts
I like the Rio versa-tip for backpacking because of the space and weight savings. I also like to use one on my 8wt fishing in rivers. I find it quick and easy to change tips when I move to different sections of the river and want to change my depth. On the rivers I usually strip the line in to loop-loop connection stops at the rod tip. Then I can easily pick it up and cast just fine.

I use it on the saltwater too and like the fact that I can feel the loop-loop connection in my hand when stripping in when its dark. Then I know my leader is getting close to my rod tip and it is time to pick up and cast. I have learned to roll cast out the tip section before casting so the connection does not hang in the guides. Also, when walking up and down the beaches the weight savings are nice.

My 2 cents.

· Registered
455 Posts
I mostly fish separate spools/lines, but the versitips I do have seem to perform better as I go up towards the heavier tips. The smaller diameter loop connections are much less likely to hang. Absolutely can't stand fishing the floating tips, as the added line/loop diameter hangs up in the guides waaay to frequently for my liking.

· Just an Old Man
35,204 Posts
Complain, complain,complain. All of the multi tips have one or more complaints. I have had mine for over 6 years now and it still works when ever I use it. But have no use for it in Montana. Woe is me.

· Long Lost Member
20,410 Posts
I have them for my 6 and 8wt rods and like them. They are not ideal for anything but they do many things pretty well. I think if you are looking to go minimal and not have a bunch of spools it will be a good way to accomplish this. I think that they work best when fishing the rivers to get you a variety of depth presentation options. Anyone looking to toss theirs away can toss them my way. I can find a way to use them.

· Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,832 Posts
I own both the Rio and Airflo multi-tip lines. Both work well for river fishing. I'm not a huge fan of the floating tips, but they'll work in a pinch. I'd rather just fish a full floating line if I'm going to fish a floater.
You can also make up some of your own heads with braided mono loops out of T-8 through T-17. With a variety of heads you can cover pretty much any depth situation you encounter on a river.
I believe the Rio comes standard with five 15' heads and the Airflo has four 12' heads. I find myself using the Airflo more, as I like the running line better.
Good luck,
SF

· Registered
744 Posts
Anyone who is not happy with their versi-tip line can send it to me.

· that's His Lordship, to you.....
6,282 Posts
I've got them for my Spey, my PHW 8-wt, and my deer creek 6-wt switch; it's a compromise, and they do tend to hang up at the changing loop. They're great for long casts using Spey technique, simple to change lines for depth changes like Ed mentioned, and really save space and weight. 2 1/2 thumbs up!

· Still truckless now farther away
1,735 Posts
I've not used mine that much but it seems to be good if it's balanced to the rod. When I'm casting I rarely have it in far enough to snag the loops unless I'm reeliing all the way in or have a fish on and reel in to land it. Many rods have differernt tip tops and some are smaller so that also may be part of the problem, I find that If I've tied a really bad knot or loop that I may hang up at times but that's something else entirely. {too lazy to change} I've changed how I'm using my lines for the time being since I am using a running line and skagit head with just the tips from the versi-tip because I've got a better weight balance. There are still the loops and I still don't have the problem with them snagging. I'm planning to try using the versi-tip on my 9wt for chum and see how that works and check out other combinations too.

· Long Lost Member
20,410 Posts
I wouldn't send Mumbles anything. Not even the sweat off my _____________________
Holy crap Old Man, guess you are feeling fine today to be bashing on me yet again. I guess the next time we meet I'll get you the BIG ASS bottle of Jim Beam instead of the humble size I presented to you last time. Besides, I thought you were sending me a highlighted and note filled Washington map.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.