Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to cast the Yancey set up once and I tell ya it Rocked! I have also had the Rio Windcutter recommended. I need either one or the other for THIS WEEKEND! I gotta make a quick decision here.

Price: Yancey - 115 Rio - 150

I know there are folks on here that fish these systems.....let the competition fly. Which one is it fellas?? :beathead

·
Mother Nature's Son
1,347 Posts
The Versitip system from Rio, which is basically their Windcutter line, retails at $115.00. As you know Luv2FlyFish, I love it! I haven't cast the Yancey. Is the Yancey line manufactured or is it spliced? If it's spliced, does anybody know what lines it is created from?

Skinny

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I used to know it all---but now I forgot it all.

I also have the Versitip and love it. Boy when ever you get something new it takes a while to learn it. Got mine new last winter,until I got use to it I wanted to throw it away. But Not any more. If I could learn how to double haul I could really fling some line out but as it stands now all I can get out is about 60 ft.

Jim

·
Registered
299 Posts
I've fished both several times. The Yancey is an interesting splice job; a large shooting head spliced to some Cortland running line. It's fairly easy to "spey cast" it with a 1H rod. It's a solid line. The Rio system is similar, but with a thin floating section behind the head rather than running line. You are paying for the workmanship / quality of the Rio connections as much as anything else. You read all these comments about the Yancey system that rave about it; well, it is certainly a good fishing line, but people have been doing the same thing with shooting heads and running line and tips for years. I don't find it to be anything new.

If I had to pick one I would pick the Rio because I have had very good luck with all of their lines over the last several years.

Circlespey

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I picked up the Yancey line around Christmas time have used it around 20 days since then (first year winter steelheading). I bought a Rio Versi-tip about 4 years ago, primarily for summer fishing in AK and probably put in about 20 days with it in all that time. The thing I really like about the Yancey system is ease of casting/mending. The drawback to the Yancey system is the joint between the floating belly and running line. Mine is about to wear out from passing back and forth through the guides. Shouldn't be tough to fix, but something you'll have to keep an eye on if you decide to get your own.

Some guys swear by the versi-tip system but I don't cast it well and don't think the tips get down as well (even though Dickson uses Rio tips . . .just something about the Yancey set-up fishes better).

My .02

Rod

·
Registered
40 Posts
I like the Yancey line. I have used it for about a year now, and I think it works great. I have also tried my buddies Rio, I don't think it casts as well. As for the Yancey line, I built mine myself for minimal cost, you just have to dial in your splices/or connections. Dennis has the Yancey line recipe in one of his articles on his site. Bottomline----they both get the job done, cast'em and you decide, I don't think you can go wrong with either.-----Jon:p

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
Learn to make your own "Skagit Line" and save a bunch of money.

A simple formula is 3 times the rod length minus the tip. So, say for a 9140 3 x 14 = 42 - 15 = 27. Start with a belly section of approx. 27'. I would go a few feet longer, cast it and then custom cut the belly to suit your style.

Here is a link with instruction on making your very own Skagit Line http://speypages.com/custom_lines.htm

Some like to taper to the running line and some like to taper to the tip. I don't do either (personal preverence). I don't gain anything with a taper when casting heavy sink tips. If I were to make a floater I might tinker around with tapers.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Thats the formula;
I have fished with Yancey and have the line for my single handed 8wt. I know the guys who played around building the "Yancey" line quite some time ago, and that is the formula the Yancey line is based upon. The same formula was used to build the lines for my spey rods. I fished a brand new Rio versi-tip for 1/2 a day and sold it, replaced it with a modified " Skagit Line" or "Yancey" line. The major reason, It speys casts on a single handed rod way better than any factory line, and in tight situations really shines.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I have a versi tip on my 10# , and have been very pleased with it, can't say that I have casted the Yancey system, sorry if I am not much help, good luck in your decision. Whatever line you buy I hope it stays tight.
:beer2

·
Registered
177 Posts
I've got both. Bought the Yancey first because I wanted to spey cast and didn't have a spey rod. It works great for single-handed spey casting. Can't recommend it highly enough for single-handed spey casting.

Bought my first spey rod + rio windcutter. Worked great. Didn't like the Yancey (aka Skagit system) on the two-hander - However, Ed Ward swears by 'em and he can really rock his casts.

I've now put the Rio on all of my single-handers AND my spey rods. I use Rio, not because its 'better', but I like the versatility of having all those different tips.

Cheers,

Michael

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was some major league schooling. Thanks to all who threw out some input. Sounds like both are good lines.

The Verdict: I just got back from the Hatch in Tacoma and scored me a Rio system. I gotta get to work spoolin it up. That new line should be kept tight this weekend. Going for a little shad action down south with a friend and then round out the trip on the Sandy. I'll post upon return. Thanks again for all the input!

This site kicks @$$ !!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.