Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

River flow levels

907 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  T Dub 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Concered? Heck, I'm hoping these means that there is little run-off this year, and so we can fish some running water earlier. As far as the fall fishing, well, guess we'll find out when we get there! Keep in mind that the Yakima River is managed for agricultural use, and not for recreational use, so low flows doesn't necessarily mean too much, except that they may be filling up the dams, or drawing less water from the dams to feed the farmers fields. It does, however, mean that the tribs, such as the Teanaway, Wilson, Manastash, Taneum, etc. are not dumping run-off.

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
-Paul Schullery

#3 ·
Good question. I would guess that they aren't letting water out because they don't need to make room for the runoff yet.

I was at Annette Lake this weekend and it's still 95% frozen and there's a lot of snow so hopefully we'll be okay on the other rivers. I was surprised at how much snow was up there.

I remember last year everyone was chomping at the bit to fish in July because of all the runoff. Let's hope that's not the case this year. Although I would almost trade June for October.

We will see.

TDub

#4 ·
I used to know it all---but now I forgot it all.

I don't think that the run off will be very good this year. If you drive the freeway over the pass you will notice that most of the snow is gone and the lake Keechelus is still low. I don't think that it is going to be very full this year. And this is where the Yakima starts from.

Jim

#5 ·
TDub thanks for the report on Lake Annette. I had been wondering if that lake was still frozen and almost went up last weekend to check it out myself. Sounds like it will be 2-3 more weeks until it will be worth hiking to it. Oh well I guess a couple more weeks of low land lakes will have to do me for now. :hmmm

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.