Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
I’m a whale
4,667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
that also spawn?? although it was Atlantic Salmon, it showed that male AS river parr secretly join in when adults spawn, subsequently ensuring that the eggs are fertilized.
- do steelhead parr do that too?

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
I've seen video of small male trout ( 6"), they call "sneakers" rush under a male steelhead while he is fertilizing a red.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
It's a very interesting strategy and is very real. I've seen it happen and the most interesting part to me was the adult males were very aggressive toward each other but they didn't give a hoot about the little guy slipping in and making a contribution.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Resident rainbows are a significant element of the rainbow/steelhead complex and mature male residents can and do breed with spawning female steelhead. Steelhead parr do not mature in the rivers and will not mature sexually until they have smolted, made their migration to salt water and begun their return to the rivers.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.