Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Smells like low tide.
7,939 Posts
The South fork of the Toutle switched to selective gear rules on Dec. 1st. I read somewhere that there is good fly water to be found there, although I don't know this myself 'cause I haven't fished it. Won't be any bait-chuckers there, though. There's also a section on the Kalama above the upper salmon hatchery that is selective gear rules year-round and that also forbids motors, so you won't have to suffer any jet-sleds. And upstream from that(above Summers Creek to below Kalama Falls there is flyfishing ONLY water! (Part of this is closed waters, so check the regs and a map). These are popular spots, but they have some fish in. Hope this helps.

I just checked the "Outdoors" section of The Olympian (www.theolympian.com then click "outdoors") and it mentions low water conditions nearly everywhere. It said lakes were also producing some nice trout. (I check this every friday so I will at least know the places everyone else is reading about!) Good Luck!-Jimbo

·
Smells like low tide.
7,939 Posts
There's a small article by Doug Rose on the Hoko in the Winter 2003 Northwest Fly Fishing mag. Article mentions that it "definitely gets silted up after a rain" due to recent logging in the upper basin. I can testify to that. Last January I watched the river level and weather for days wanting to fish it, and when the real-time river data and rain clearing finally looked to be a "go" I headed out at about 4 am and drove the 180 miles. Not any rain until I got to the Hoko, where it was starting to rain and the river level slowly rising and visibility getting worse as I fished. Saw one caught, and saw some fish rolling, but got skunked. When I got home that night, I checked the real-time data on my computer and the graph of the river level showed a bottoming out and reversal occuring while I had been en route to the river that morning. Lots of logging trucks then, too. It should be low and clear thru this weekend, though. The easy access on the lower river makes it a popular spot. Good luck.Jimbo

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.