Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
...has several mistresses.
667 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Owner, Angler and friend, Doug Persico passed away the 31st of July 2010. Doug had been facing some health problems and was on his way to better health. He stopped by and I was able to have coffee with him in Seattle two weeks ago as he was visiting the UW Medical Center. Upon returning home to Rock Creek, Doug suffered a heart attack, was admitted to St. Patricks in Missoula and entered the great river in the sky the morning of August 31st.
Many knew Doug, Many came and went thru RC Montana, Stopped and either liked the old man or could give two shits about him. He has been a true friend of mine for nearly 20 years, taking me in, always giving me a bed, be it at his house, his cabin or hotel. I have spent many an evening on his back porch talking shit, eating well and drinking well.
I can accept my friend is gone, he can finally fish now as I see it....He told me once the most memorable fishing trip of his life was when I took him salmon fishing in Seattle a few years back....I think the most memorable TIMES of my life were spent on his back porch, listening to his stories...I feel for his family, his wife, his children and grandchildren, I lost a friend...they lost a cornerstone in their lives.
Viva ROCK CREEK FISHERMANS MERCANTILE
Get busy living or get busy dying *******!
You NEVER know when youre up next!

SAK

·
Junior Dave Monti fan
373 Posts
Rock Creek Montana....

Thanks for sharing this sad news, SAK. I've visited the Merc a couple times a year since I caught my first brown trout in Rock Creek about six years ago. I really enjoyed bullshitting with Doug first thing in the morning while watching him tie up Rock Creek Wonder Buggers or giant orange serendipities. I've heard that his gruff demeanor rubbed some people the wrong way, but I got a kick out of his grumbling and thought it enhanced the whole experience. Even to someone who barely knew him, it was easy to see that Doug was a man who loved his river and his place in the world. I looked forward to reading his fishing reports on the Merc's website, even when I couldn't get over there to fish. I'm sad to know I've read his last.

·
Banned
141 Posts
Rock Creek Montana....

For as long as I live whenever I see someone sitting on a chair on their knees I will picture Doug tying flies on his knees in that smoked filled little shop with five or six guys or gals sitting around drinking his coffee and learning about life. Doug Persico was a national treasure and in a million years will never be replaced.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Rock Creek Montana....

The first time I wandered into the shop, I thought he was a crochety old cuss. On numerous return trips, he really warmed up. I was introduced to numerous great patterns by him, bought some great tying materials out of his disorganized bins in the back, watched the shop denziniens tie flies that he designed, heard him tell the story of how his father in law designed the humpy, and on Sak's recommendation, ordered some Wonder Buggers from him in advance of my last trip to Rock Creek.

Truly one of the great characters that you'll have the opportunity to encounter in this life time!

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
Rock Creek Montana....

SAK, sorry for the passing of your friend. I do hope he now has all the time for flyfishing that he needs. Best to his family and extended family. Stay on point all, the news of someone passing who has touched the lives of many should be cause for reflection and celebration. There is a great PM function folks, use it.

·
FUBAR
971 Posts
Rock Creek Montana....

Sorry to hear of your loss.

·
Fishin' to the end, Oc.P
2,311 Posts
Rock Creek Montana....

Yep, Doug was crochety and crusty, but smokin' cigars with him was always a pleasure. I will be up the creek tomorrow at a friends place. As I pass by the Merc, I will do it with a heavy heart.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Rock Creek Montana....

I had the pleasure of meeting Doug in the mid 90's on a trip of a life time in Montana! Doug and his wife invited me and a couple of buddies to his home on the creek for dinner. I was very happy to have met him he was a wise old man who knew the art of flyfishing as a artist knew his paints. With his advice I was able to catch some very large trout that will always bring fond memories from that trip.

RIP Doug may you catch the big one is heavens rivers!

Dave Lehive
Philadelphia PA

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.