Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having completed the weeks home projects, I took the day off yesterday and made the ninty minute drive down to Rock Creek. You could not have asked for better weather. The river was running at around 875cfs. The water was the color or weak coffee, so my expectations were low. One rise on my second cast, but it didn't take. That was the last action I saw for the day. The March Browns and some caddis were flying but nothing looking up. Fishless day but still better than mowing the lawn.

· Just an Old Man
35,200 Posts
I have those but don't use them. I have tried most things on the market to thread those small eyes. My Bifocals are usually good to go. But I have the shakes. It doesn't help if my hands are shaking. Trying to stab that small eye when it's like the wind is blowing.. If I would of stuck with it I would of got it. Patience is not good with me. I either get it or I don't.

· Just an Old Man
35,200 Posts
That's gotta be very frustrating
To say the least. Take good care of your body. You never know when it's going to go to hell. But I usually stick with it until I get it. Some times I get it right off the bat and other times,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,well you know. I just couldn't stab the eye.

If you ever seen me try to do this you would probably take it out of my hands and do it your self. I take it all with a grain of sand and keep on trucking. But I can still laugh at myself when it all happens.

· Registered
167 Posts
Yes
Its all about the take for me, but to each his own.
Indeed. And sorry if I was a bit snarky. I would kill to live that close to that magical river, and knowing fish could be had by the sunk-fly would be too much temptation for me. Well, way too much. I think I enjoy nymphing even more than dry; something about the connection to the unseen. So yes, to each his own :)

· Registered
1,608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Indeed. And sorry if I was a bit snarky. I would kill to live that close to that magical river, and knowing fish could be had by the sunk-fly would be too much temptation for me. Well, way too much. I think I enjoy nymphing even more than dry; something about the connection to the unseen. So yes, to each his own :)
No worries. I carry and have fished nymphs on occassion so not a total dry fly purist. I just prefer the surface bugs 99 % of the time. I'll admit I'm somewhat spoiled in my current location. Within two hours time, I can be at multiple rivers that some folks travel hundreds of miles to fish.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.