Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there anyone out there who considers themself a Rock Lake (eastern washington) expert? I have fished this lake a few times with limited success. I do not have a boat, so I am limited to the vicinity around the boat launch and the nearest couple of bays north. I have managed to catch a few browns (12-17") on muddler minnows and leeches. It also seems that this lake fishes better in the late fall and winter. Any other ideas or information on this lake?

· Registered
177 Posts
i've never fished it, but have been thinking about fishing rock creek for a couple seasons now. anyone have any info on this creek. and yes i'm talking about the rock creek in eastern washington, not the one in montana. thanks, scott

· Just an Old Man
35,200 Posts
What do I know---I'm just an old man

I keep having the same thoughts that you do. You read or hear about a place that you would like to go but just can't get there. I asked about some info on that creek earily this year but it seemed to fall on deaf ears.

Jim

· Registered
62 Posts
Old Man and Xcaddis,

I'm going to be in Yakima for the long weekend. I was going to just fish the Canyon, but since i'm already going to be half way there, I think I might try to go fish The Palouse and Rock Creek (the parts that didn't close Oct 31). I've fished several of the other streams over there like the Toucannon and Walla Walla, but I've never heard a thing about The Palouse.

If I go, I'll let you know what it's like.

· Banned
177 Posts
I tried this before, but for some reason, the post didn't make it.

First, I will say that I'm far from a Rock Lake expert, or any kind of an expert for that matter, but I have fished this lake a few times and have heard a lot about it from my fishing friends in the Spokane area.

The lake has browns in fairly good numbers and big fish. I know one bass guy who claims that the lake holds the state record brown. He mostly fishes the steep banks with crankbaits and thinks the fall is excellent. Rock also has largemouth bass, panfish, and rumors of smallmouth and walleyes being planted by the bucket brigade.

This is a tough lake to fish without a boat, although I suppose you could use a pontoon or float tube in the bay near the launch and other places where you can get access to the water.

This also is a tough place to fish with a boat until you learn the lake. The launch is pretty rugged, unless it's been changed in the last five years. There are a LOT of rocks and offshore structure that can clean the lower unit off your outboard in a heartbeat if you're not careful. You can be running in 200 feet of water and see rock shoals just inches below the surface right beside your boat. Scared the socks off me once with that one.

The biggest boating problem is the wind, though. In the scabrock country, the wind blows twice a week, once for four days and once for three-- or so the old joke goes. However, since much of the shoreline of Rock is steep cliffs with little or no shelter, when the wind comes up, you can be in trouble unless you've got a boat capable of handling rough water. You have to be very cautious when fishing this lake...more so than just about any other.

All that said, the fishing can be very good. I never did fish it specifically for trout, but while I was bass fishing, I would see shoals of foot-long fish cruising just under the surface.

Good luck.

Can't say much more than this as I haven't fished it in five years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.