Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,
Maybe you all could help me solve a dilemma that I'm facing. I'm trying to decide whether to go fishing out at RF this weekend, or do beach trip for Coho. It seems that coho are just barely arriving, not quite showing up in strong numbers quite yet. And of course, the hogs at the 'Ford are casually picking olive scuds out of weeds or slurping tricos even as I write this post.

Your thoughts?

ww

·
Registered
22 Posts
Get Salty! It's time to transition your gear and commit to a great season in the sound. If you're like me, it's going to take you a few sessions in the salt to hone your gear and techniques. Then when the Coho come pouring through the strait you'll be ready for em.

It's time to put away the 5wt and grab the big stick. :BIGSMILE

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
The fish at rocky ford are probably hibernating due to the heat. You better off going to a flyfishing only lake. R.Ford is about 4 hours from Tacoma, so I'll pass. I went there once and that was the last time too. Unpredictable fish, not worth the 4 hr drive for me...

·
Registered
844 Posts
RF this time of year is choked with weeds making it near impossible to fish. The crowds are gone, which is nice.....but I doubt you'll catch any fish.

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I might be old---but I'm good.

I'm like you. I've been there once and once was enough. It was wierd though. I was the second one there and I had my pick of spots. About like at Reiter. It didn't take long for the people to show up and for being fly fishers some of them had no manners.

Jim

·
Registered
216 Posts
I can't account for Rocky Ford in July and August, but at the end of June, it fished great. It was getting mossy, but I did manage to pick up a few nice ones including one that went 26". It put up a great fight. If you do go to RF, please make sure to fully revive your fish. The warm temperatures can stress them easily.

As for flies, I rarely fish anything but an olive scud or pheasant tail. I'll occasionally throw on a small dry to match any hatch, but apparently, my dry presentation in the occasional gale force winds there isn't quite up to snuff. (Translation: I'm usually skunked on dries!) I've also had success stripping wooly buggers there too!)

If I were closer to the salt, I'd probably try it for a little variety.

-Tom

G

·
if your going to fish rocky ford, just throw the smallest flies you have, 22s, #24s, or smaller. Go t he still water, and just cast to rising fish. A scud everyonce in a while wont hurt either.

Tight lines,

Joe

G

·
Have fun be Safe

iv found the best time for rocky ford is in the fall around feb no one around it a good time to go.

3d6a949444056ba2.html

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.