Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, landed a fair number, hooked up on alot that werent landed.
i didnt really think about landing big trout without being in the water lol. a steelhead sized net with a decent length handle would be nice. its a bit of a pain really lol.
my girlfriend and her daughter was with me. gf had a really hard time getting fish in. either hook was coming out or snapping it off. she is not used to catching bigger fish though. all she is thinking bout is revenge right now lol.
i did make sure to tell her that i doubt it produces that well all the time though lol. i am going to assume the heavy wind made the trout more comfortable and aggressive then if its calmer.
i probably wont go again without a minimum 7wt. those big ones completely over powered the 5wts. cant turn and lift them.

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
All I use at RF is a 5wt. But I have caught fish that will kick ass on my 5wt. Ya just have to talk'em into coming a shore for a release.
Also, I use 4x or 3x tippet.
Have ya ever heard of bowing to the fish. Just let'em get some of that energy spent then you can talk'em in.
Glad everyone had a good time

·
Outta Here
3,912 Posts
Big fish on a light rod/small net...I've snipped the tippet as close as possible to the fish, figuring I'm doing more damage subjecting the big fella to a fight trying to recover a fly. Since I tie, I don't give a shit about losing a stupid fly. At this point in 60+ years of fishing I'm happiest when I can just let the line go slack and the fish manages to throw the barbless hook. A strike, a bit of a fight so I can glimpse his size, and a release without handling is perfect, in my book.

·
Indi Ira
9,492 Posts
Don't give a fuck what you think about you think I want you to think. I stopped enjoying trophies and hero shots decades ago.
Krusty, flyawayfish44 is just messing with you. Just a bit of friendly ribbing is all. If it is any consolation, I know exactly what you are talking about, especially when it comes to the Rocky Ford fish. They can be a pain to land and I throw slack at them all the time hoping for an early release. I do the same at the end of almost all my fights with fish I plan to release.

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
I agree that a five weight is just fine for RF, but I do find it surprising that people are getting on this guy for wanting to use a heavier rod to get the fish in quicker.

This topic comes up all the time here and the general consensus is always that its the responsible thing to use strong enough gear to get the fish in quickly
Now here's a guy wanting to do just that and people still have to give him shit.

This place is funny. If you can land those fish quickly with a five weight, great
If he doesn't believe he can and wants to use a friggen 12 wt, why on earth would anyone have a problem with that?

·
born to work, forced to fish
5,278 Posts
I can hear him sayin it now! "Landing fish? That's a young buck's game. Yes sir, I reckon these days knowin' a fish took my fly is more than enough for me!"
You'll have an idea in about 30 years how right you were with this statement.

I like to think kids get smarter with age.

Nick, the thing I don't like the 7 wt at RF for is the complaining afterwards about the lack of fish action.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.