Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ahhhh; Rocky Ford. What an amazing body of water.
Went yesterday with my brother, my lord what a fishery.
Its challenging enough on occaision, but always worth the wait for the absolute slab of slabs. I caught 3 run-o-the-mill fishes in about 3 hours (using primarily scuds & chiro's) with & without indicator by the way. Then towards the end of our stay, I caught elmer (Our term for the biggun). elmer hit in the fast water below the rocky bottleneck area. Strangely enough he hit a "bitchcreek" with rubber legs and the works. The fish was 27" and probably weighed between 7 & 9 pounds. Wonderful day....saw no snakes. Only bad thing I saw was a dead 24" fish on the shore (about a day old) near the bottleneck.
PEOPLE YOU MUST TAKE EXTREME CARE WHEN RELEASING THESE FISH!!!
DO NOT JUST UNHOOK THEM AND LET THEM SWIM OFF (AND THEY WILL)
THE FISH WILL DIE IF YOU DO IT THAT WAY. FIND AN AREA WHERE YOU CAN SQUAT DOWN AND NURSE THE FISH (SLOWLY DRAGGING IT BACK & FORTH BY THE TAIL WITH OTHER HAND LIGHTLY SUPPORTING THE UNDER_BELLY>>>MAKE SURE YOU WET YOUR HANDS>>>AND DONT BRING THE FISH OUT OF THE WATER TO UNHOOK IT UNLESS ABSOLUTELY NECCESRY. I HAVE NEVER KILLED A FISH THERE AND THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR ANYONE TO KILL THEM... I HAVE NOT BEEN PLEASED OVER-ALL BY WATCHING MOST THE FISHERMAN OUT THERE AND THERE RELEASING TECHNIQUES. ITS ALMOST LIKE THEY DONT REALLY CARE BUT RATHER THINK THEIR JOB IS DONE BY JUST TAKING THE HOOK OUT. THIS REALLY UPSETS ME. FIND A SPOT ON THE STREAM ( THERE ARE LITTLE HOLES AND BACKWATERS ALONG THE SHORE SO IF FISH SLIPS OUT OF YOUR HAND YOU CAN EASILY CATCH HIM). BETTER YET USE A GOOD QUALITY NET KEEPIN THE FISH IN HEAD FIRST HOLDING FISH BY TAIL AND SWOOSHING NET HANDLE BACK & FORTH UNTIL FISH RECOVERS. SWOOSH BACK AND FORTH COUNTIN ONE< TWO VERY SLOWLY WATCHING THE WATER MOVE THE GILLS BACK & FORTH. I SEE FOLKS OUT THERE LETTING THE FISH GO ONLY TO DIE LATER> OKAY I'M DONE

·
Registered
364 Posts
I agree with you I have seen quite a few people just chuck there fish back in the water but surprisingly I usually only see a couple dead fish along rocky ford and thats not bad compared to how many people fish it and how many fsih are in the creek, but I do agree with you that more people should take more time and care when releaseing rocky fords giant trout.

As for giant trout I caught my biggest trout out of the ford this spring it was a fat 26" inch bow I was surprised it was fatter than the normal larger trout otu of rocky ford, that fish was pretty tired but I got im in the water quickly after removing the hook and held him in the water moving him back and forth for at least 2 or 3 minutes until he had some strength and was able to pull out of my hand. The very next day I matched my biggest rout at the ford with another 26" inch bow. I still don't think the fish are that challenging in rocky for I average about 15 to 20 fish in about 6 to 8 hours on the ford and have caught 14 in 31/2 hors before.I have never really fished from dawn til dark before so I am sure I could get 30 bows. My dad and I are probablly going to hit the ford in july for some grasshopper action.GOOD LUCK.

"LOVE'M AND LEAVE'M" C&R

fly15

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me qualify challenging: How many fish have you taken on dry flies?? Yes, its pretty easy to catch em on scus, chiros buggers etc.
Also, it can be challenging casting through the winds. And, of all the times I have fished the Ford, yersterday was the first time I fished the fast water...which I believe is easier than the big wide areas. The wide areas are obviously less popular with the masses, because you have to actually be able to cast well in the wide areas.
Overall, the wide ares offer challenges in casting, stealth if sight casting (especially dry flies), reeds on the back-cast, snakes in the weeds, fish in the weeds, blackbirds attacking your head well, you get it

·
Registered
364 Posts
I agree with you that it's easier to catch fish in the faster water because they have less time to inspect your fly. I have caught my share of trout out of the wider slower areas including my largest trout. I have yet to catch a rocky ford rainbow on a dry fly because I have yet to be there during a hatch but am looking forward to it. I seldom use woolly buggers when I am at rocky ford I prefer scuds and a few flies I am not going to name here.Is rocky ford as crowded in July and August as it is in the spring? I have only fished it in March and April and this was my first year I have fished it.

"LOVE'M AND LEAVE'M" C&R

fly15

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its not only easier because the fish have time to inspect flies,
its easier because fish are very concentrated there. Ive seen fish stacked there to the point of 1 fish per 8 square feet! also you dont even have to be a good caster as you could almost just dangle the fly from an 8-10 foot rod and catch fish. I almost feel sorry for those fish in that part of the creek....almost but not so much that I didnt enjoy catching my largest fish ever there. And, on a bitch creek no-less. I could be the first person to have ever taken a fish on that pattern there. I ve also taken a fish on a boatman pattern there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.