Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
624 Posts
yeah, i had some pretty good fishing there just over a week ago. there were a few hatches going on, but the fish weren't rising with any sort of regularity, so i kept my flies underneath the water. there is a nice callibaetis hatch and spinner fall of the same. i mainly stuck with scuds and midge patterns. one word of advice, don't get stuck casting to the same fish over and over again, if it's not biting what you are offering, either change patterns or find a different fish. in my experience there, a fly that one fish refuses another will take. for example, i had been casting to a particular fish with the same pattern with no luck until another fish cruised by saw my pattern and came three feet out of his way to devour my fly. hope this helps. also, bring your fly tying kit, i rarely have luck with store bought flies because the fish see them all the time, making little modifications can make a huge difference. and sometimes when the little stuff doesn't work, toss out a big leech or bugger and hang on.
good luck.
steve s

· Registered
4 Posts
I would echo the comments of Steve S. I've fished RF numerous times and he's right on. I was there this last weekend and scuds were the ticket (olive, anywhere from size 10 to 16). They were chowing on them. This time of year can be good, but just like any time of year over there, the fish can change their preferances at any time. I saw lots of mayflies on the water but surface activity was pretty slow so I was underneath as well. Lots of weeds that you have to maneuver around this time of year (streamside and in the water). Not uncommon for a big fish to take you into the weeds and leave you hanging! Steve S makes a great point - don't kill yourself casting to one fish. Make a great "first impression" and give it several tries. If they don't move for it, they won't take it. Try another fly or move on. Many times the same fly that was rejected will hook up in the next spot. Good luck!
Steve

· Registered
1 Posts
Sage5,

Was there Thursday, the 30th late, and hit 'em big! Had one 18" and rest of a dozen were 22" and up - several well over that.
Lost one huge fish I couldn't control - may be to Moses Lake by now. Black or dark brown mohair leech - 2x size 12, i.e., small and short, and sinktip line. Didn't see or hear any rattlers, but the coyotes are everywhere!

Al

· Registered
50 Posts
At least 10' and preferably, 14'. I use 6 lb. and sometimes 4 lb. The first 3 fish I caught on the 30th were on short damsels. All the rest on either dark brown or black mohair leeches. Very slim and short (less than 1/2") tail.

Good luck,

Al

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.