Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to fish rocky ford for the first time sometime this week. Was wondering if anyone has fished it recently and what has been successful if anyone is willing to share?

Thanks,
Zack

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I fished Rocky Ford last year about this time. Stay on the parking lot side of the creek unless you want to visit rattle snakes. I did fish the other side of creek and there were a few rattle snakes on the opposite banks. I used scuds and marabou leeches and did well. Probably 10 fish to hand. Use plenty of sun screen and carry water with you.

Keith

·
NEVER wonder what to do with your free time
984 Posts
Darc, at The Desert Angler in Ephreta, is a must stop. He has some hopper/terrestrial patterns that should be killer this time of year. They worked really well for me....

·
Indi Ira
9,492 Posts
People say to use scuds, but often times do not tell you how do fish them. Please use the search function and find previous posts by people describing how to fish the scuds correctly. I know I have carefully detailed out exactly how to fish them. Some times people will catch fish on scuds under an indicator, but it is not often unless there is a lot of junk in the water, the water is moving fast (only a few areas in the upper section) or they find stupid fish.

Good luck in your search. You might also want to read this thread http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/board/showthread.php/69593-So-You-are-New-to-Fly-Fishing...

Ira

Ira..

·
Indi Ira
9,492 Posts
There are a lot of cat tails, but there are still plenty of places to cast a line without worring about them. I bring a ladder and then I never worry about it. But Old Man is right, NO Wading.

Ira..

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
I haven't been there in a few years, but who is (was) the guy wearing a trench coat on cooler days? That guy used to (or maybe still does) slay 'em on scuds with ridiculous ease.

·
Indi Ira
9,492 Posts
Yes, I use a ladder and yes I have caught crap for it, mostly from my fishing partner who without a ladder frequently out fishes me, but then again she out fishes everyone there so I'm in good company.

Ira..

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
The dude in the trench coat is a fish catching fool.
He comes up to me one day and says, "do ya have a scud like this ?"
I says "No, but I got one like this".
He says "I can't see that color"
I says "I can't either, I just watch the fish"

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.