Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum here so apologies if this has been asked before but are they’re any site, resources, etc that y’all recommend to learn more about building one’s own rod?

Seems like it would be an interesting learning experience to do it at least once.

Thanks in advance.
R

· FISHON206
4,776 Posts
So what kind of rod are you thinking of building? Graphite, fiberglass or my choice.....bamboo! How much do you want to spend? There’s several inexpensive kits that come with everything......good starter in my opinion. I’ve been building rods for over 35 years now and still use the simple scrap wood blank holder and thread holder. Any questions I’d be glad to help.
Steve

· Registered
7,459 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the responses all -- will check out the Mudhole and good questions Steve! I was thinking about building a 3wt or 4wt fiberglass rod and would like to spend $300 or less (is that reasonable?)

· Steelhead Junkie
270 Posts
I will 2nd mudhole.com as a good resource with good prices. Thye literally have everything you will ever need to build. There are several companies out there who sell fly rod building supplies, however, mud hole is the most comprehensive site and resource I have found. the rod kits listed a few posts up already sold. You can definitely find a decent complete kit for under $200. Hook and Hackle has them and they have always been a good operation.

Good luck! I was just looking at the first rod I build back in March of 2008.

· Registered
910 Posts
Another source I use is Proof Fly Fishing - Proof Fly Fishing: Quality fly rod building supplies . Very nice reel seats, cork grips, etc. for bamboo and composite rod builders. They sell fiberglass, graphite, and even bamboo blanks and kits.

Anglers Workshop Rod Building - Angler's Workshop The Leaders in Rod Building, Fly Tying, Rod Blanks, Fly Fishing, and much more! is another source. They were located in Woodland, WA for many years before selling the business to Lure Parts Online in Illinois. Still a pretty good inventory of rod making supplies

· Steelhead Junkie
270 Posts
Another source I use is Proof Fly Fishing - Proof Fly Fishing: Quality fly rod building supplies . Very nice reel seats, cork grips, etc. for bamboo and composite rod builders. They sell fiberglass, graphite, and even bamboo blanks and kits.
I will chime in that my experience with proof fly fishing. I ordered components to build a switch and single hand rod, however, there were some quality control issues with some single foot guides I purchased when building a Euro rod. I brought them to Matt's attention, and I never received any response back from him. I was able to compensate for the issue and complete the build. It added more time to the build, would have been an issue for a new builder and I won't be ordering from Proof again. Simple customer service goes a long way.

· Registered
25 Posts
a few years back i ordered the 11’ 2/3wt spey kit from proof fly fishing and it had all pieces required and in great condition, finished the rod and with a 175gr commando head it cast really nice and is super light weight. i’m very happy with their products and would buy again

Attachments

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
a few years back i ordered the 11’ 2/3wt spey kit from proof fly fishing and it had all pieces required and in great condition, finished the rod and with a 175gr commando head it cast really nice and is super light weight. i’m very happy with their products and would buy again
Nice work on the spey rod! Thanks for the tip.

· Registered
22 Posts
It's been awhile since the original post, but if you head on over to Rodbuilding.org :: rodboard there are a ton of people in your same position, and an equal amount of knowledgeable ones plus a wealth of learning resources. The web design is a bit ancient but it works. The left side of the page lists the sponsors of the site, all can provide you the supplies needed to buy components and finish out any type of rod, not just fly.

-eric

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's been awhile since the original post, but if you head on over to Rodbuilding.org :: rodboard there are a ton of people in your same position, and an equal amount of knowledgeable ones plus a wealth of learning resources. The web design is a bit ancient but it works. The left side of the page lists the sponsors of the site, all can provide you the supplies needed to buy components and finish out any type of rod, not just fly.

-eric
Wow -- great! Thanks Eric

· Registered
22 Posts
I'll add that there are many other sources who are not sponsors of that site i linked. Often they were at some point but no longer.

I've dealt with Matt at Proof Fly Fishing a couple of times and haven't had an issue. He's responded very quickly to email too. I imagine every so often an email slips through and since he's a one-man operation it seems, there may have been a personal issue that prevented him from replying to a previous poster's issue. I know i have personal emergencies at times and things slip through. It's too bad that happened. He has a lot of videos on the steps to building up a fly rod on his site and at youtube. check those out as well.

· Registered
14 Posts
I will second the mud hole suggestion. I have recently gotten into building as well and their videos have been very helpful. YouTube also has quite the supply of videos on how to do most things. For blanks, take a peek at Northfork composites

1 - 17 of 17 Posts