Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have a suggestion for a "rod drying" setup for finishing rods??? You can buy them local for 99.00 and it will do two blanks at same time?? Thanks in advance.

~Patrick ><>

G

·
Gregs Custom Rods sells their Deluxe Drying Motor for $59. This is a 4 rpm motor which I find to be an ideal speed for smooth drying. I tried a 29 rpm motor and didn't get the results I wanted although some guys say it is just the opposite. Just one blank at a time though as it is a single chuck model. I mounted the motor and support to a piece of 1X6, stuck some baby buggy bumper rubber feet on the bottom then placed the whole assembly on my tying bench where the light is good. Works great and stands up in the corner of a closet when not in use. Ive

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'd like to take credit for this one, but a buddy of mine figured it out. He went to the salvation army thrift store and bought an old popcorn popper, the kind with the rotating arm so that your corn wouldn't burn to the bottom. He flipped it on it's side, mounted legs to the bottom, took out the heating element and added a PVC pipe cap with three bolts to screw down and hold the rod in place. 6 pack containers placed under the length of the rod make great holders to keep it off the floor as it spins. All this for about $2.50.

Calvin

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went to Goodwill and got a rotiserie motor for about $1.50. I mounted it on a block of wood and it works great. Mount it to the height of your wrapping stand and it's done. Only other thing you need is a piece to hold rod end and thats pretty easy even if you just use masking tape, though I suspect you will come up with something. I used a small piece of PVC.
Paladin

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I broke down and couldn't wait...I gave the local shop my $75.00 and bought a sully with a gear head motor that can be setup up from 4 rpm to 30 rpm??

Thanks for all the input :thumb :thumb

~Patrick ><>

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.