Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a long absence, I am geting back into fly fishing because my 9 year-old son wants to fish. Before my boys were born, when I lived in Colorado, I dreamed of fishing with kids some day. Well, the time has come!

Any advice on what size rod I should start him on? I have found a couple outfits that are nicely priced... an 8'6" 4/5wt, lined with a 5. Or, I could go with a 7'6" or 8' 5/6wt lined with a 6. Is the 6wt going to be too much for him?

Thanks for your time.

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
Check out the new Redington Minnow outfit. For around a hundred bucks or less you get an 8 foot 5 wt rod and Crosswater reel, backing, line and leader pre-spooled.
Looks to be a great outfit to get kids started.

* I just learned from an insider that these outfits have been very popular since their recent introduction. Retailers are selling out and production has been ramped up to meet the demand.

·
Registered
846 Posts
I remeber my first rod I got when I was 8yrs old, it was a 7' fiberglass 3wt, that my dad made....first fly caught fish a cut thoat, out of small creek named Big River. What ever you get, your son will treasure it and the memories will surely outlast the rod.

James.

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
I think you should get something on the smaller end such as 4 wt or less and not over 8 feet. I have a little 2 wt. Sage LL that is 7' 9" that a nine year old would shine with! (I use a 3 wt line on it) Of course, that is probably too expensive. My point is, keep it light and small. You don't want them to be discouraged casting something unwieldy and give up the sport! :ray1:

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I think you should start them with a 9 ft. 5 or 6 wt. They may as well get initiated right away. Why play around with smaller stuff they will outgrow sooner than later? I built two 9 ft, 8 wt. rods for my nephews so they could handle Pink salmon during the runs. They seem to work fine because that's what they are used to.

·
Just an Old Man
35,199 Posts
I think the size of the rod should go along with the size of the child. But that really doesn't make any sense either. I've seen a little girl play around with a spey rod. But anything to heavy would be a drag.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I like your first option of a 8'6" 4/5 if you do mostly trout fishing. If you get into bigger fish then maybe a bit more rod. My girls are 4 and 6 so they are not quite ready for fishing but they like to try to cast. Best of luck.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
I just pick-ed up an echo gecko (4/5 wt) for my daughter. May be a little more expensive than set-up. Not sure how big your son is, that might change my opinion. What i liked about the gecko is the the handle is made for kids hands and has a lower handle. So they can two had cast. It is very light in hand. I lawn cast it with a wf4 line and was tossing 55-60 feet. I think ross also make a line of rods, but they do not have the lower handle.

·
Eyes to the sky...
2,738 Posts
I was told a 8 1/2 to 9 ft was better because they have more "ground clearance". Both my 9 and 6 yr old are tossing pretty good loops on the Albright Topwater outfits I got them. They were on sale for $60. Good luck!
Jason

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all of your replies and advice. I looked at the Ross Journey outfit at a local shop. It's nice, and the colors are cool. But not a great value for what you get. I loved the look of the Echo Gecko, and I'd bet it casts nicely. But come on... $100 for a rod with foam grip and plastic reel seat.

I am going with the 8'6" 4/5 wt Albright GP rod and Albright Topwater reel. It will be $80 for the rod and reel. I think this will work out well for my 9 year-old. I am also going to buy the same set up for his little brother, who is almost 7. Orangeradish, he'll have you to thank for that!

Take care,
Z

·
Registered
270 Posts
i think you should just get him a very cheap starter rod. i know when i was little that’s what i received from my dad and grandpa on my birthday. i used this rod for a few years and with that rod in hand my love of fly fishing began to grow and grow. then a few years later without me ever asking for a new rod (i was perfectly content with this one) my dad bought me a St. Croix. i remember i got it during winter and just sat around looking at it and dreaming of spring when i could fish. i think starting out with a very cheap 5 pr 6 wt. would make him appreciate a very nice rod when the time comes for you to buy him a new one. just my opinion.:thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.