Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got my first toon after 15 years of float tubing. It’s the Outcast Fish Cat Streamer XL IR (the one with the red bladders, 8’). I tried it out on Beaver Lake last week, and while steering will take some practice, I realized I definitely need a Rod holder. I mainly fish lakes trolling and will be kicking most of the time, but if I am simply rowing to get from place to place, I want to still be “fishing”. What’s the best rod holder (size, mounting option, brand, etc)? I want to pivot the rod tip pointing towards the water, detect the strike easily, and get the rod out of the holder quickly to set the hook. And, not lose my rod to a Kamloops bruiser. Outcast offers a Fish Cat Rod holder and Scotty Rod holders (rail mounts or strap mounts in 1” or 1.25”). Not sure of any other brands I should consider. Thank You.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
I have a couple of the Scotty's and like them very much. I've had fish hit hard and run right away while I've been fumbling to rig another rod, eat a snack, drink a be...verage and scotty has never failed.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Agree with the scotty's. I have 3 mounted on my pontoon. 2 in the back and 1 up front fwd and below the oar mounts, never had them break. Have to be fast getting to them though when a fish hit's. Or it later on fishE.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone. I picked up the Scotty #262 today at Avid Angler; it has a 1.25" rail mount. I like its ability to pivot in different locations, vs the Creekside and Outcast mounts. Seems pretty beefy for plastic. I hope to try it out his weekend on the east side. As usual, this Forum is invaluable!!

·
Old And In The Way
250 Posts
I have a surface mount Scotty on my pram, and just bought a strap mount one for my Scadden Outlaw Rampage. I don't troll much (I normally anchor and cast) but am of the school of thought that you might as well have a fly in the water when moving from place to place. You might not catch anything, but you definitely won't if you don't have a fly in the water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.