Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nothing special but does the job! I built a holder that would house my whole rod so that the tip is not hanging over the boat susceptable to overhanging branches and the occasional "oops rowing"!

Like I said before I would change a few things like attaching the plug with a string, add foam in the end cap and in the reel compartment area. I even though of buying that extremely sticky velcro tabs so that I could attach it that way as well (it would eliminate the tube from moving around).

Anyways, I hope the pictures come out and are not too big!

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Andrew:
Great looking invention and I am sure this will hold your rod beautifully. But I wanted something to work as a holder to put my rod in while trolling a leech or something or maybe bobber fishing with chironomids..Something I could use with my pontoon boat or my 12 footer.

Hey. thanks for all your work in posting this piece and great photos as well.
Bob:thumb

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I bought one when they first came out. But mine kept rolling around on the tubes no matter how I lashed it. Coming home from Chopaka Lake, it vibrated into two chunks, one stayed with the boat, the other boogied on me. I don't care because it didn't seem to do the job. But a big thanks for trying to help.
Bob:thumb

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
I'm sorry but maybe I'm looking at this wrong.......when fish on and you want to grab the rod how the hell do you get it out. It looks like you would have to reel with the pipe on. The rod needs to come out of the pipe and I don't see a way possible unless the length of pipe covering the rod above the reel can open...does it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I don't have a picture but I can describe this. I built a rod case that will store my 9' rod with the reel attached in the full put up configuration.
It starts with a triangle rod case similar to Cabelas'Triangle Single Rod/Reel Case.
Using a handsaw, I cut off the small end of the case. Next I inserted a factory Fenwick triangle (reel off) case into the open end of the reel on case. With the Fenwick case pushed all the way in, I have a normal length case for a broken down rod. With the Fenwick case pulled almost all the way out I have a reel on 9' case that would work very well.
My plan is to insert the small end of the case into the bow of my two person Kayak. When I want to paddle, I insert the 9 feet of put-up rod into the case and paddle. If I decide to fish, out comes the put-up rod and I'm ready.
Rollcast

·
Retired Mod
11,079 Posts
Bob, I HAVE what YOU need!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cabela's has a rod holder that's designed to mount to the frame. I use them for my rods. Say it this way, I use mine to pull plugs with. They hold secure pulling K16's baitwrapped for kings, and hold while a king is stripping line. Cabela's just recently changed design. So not sure if the new one's are the same. I'm going to order one and find out. But will take a picture of mine in next day or so and post.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Scotty Rod Holder

Hi Bob:
I've got mine fastened with cable ties ahead of rowing frame, rock solid. They don't work good fastening to the pontoon with straps provided. When through fishing separate top and put in tackle bag because they can slip out. I'll send you a picture of my set-up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.