Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have taken a look at youtube for lathe's. I want to build one to use on cork, for sh and dh rods. Does anyone have plans? Did look at Harbor Freight, wood lathe, if I could change the gripping head to that of the metal lathe, would work maybe. Anyway, I'm a bit in the air about it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
the HF 10x18 lathe works fine for fly grips. You use a Jacob's chuck to hold the mandrel and a live center on the other end. I shape a lot on my rod wrapper too if I glue it on the rod before shaping. (for heavy saltwater fly rods mostly)

·
FISHON206
4,691 Posts
I plan on glueing up cork rings on the blank. Thank you for the info. This could turn out into another bad habit. Other than buying gear.
Have you seen the jig/clamp made with wood blocks and all thread for gluing cork rings? It squeezes the rings tight til the glue dries, then shape it on the all thread chucked in the drill and no harm to the rod blank.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.