Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question,

I am looking at the 10ft 6wt Redington RS4. I am looking to swing streamers and do some high stick nymph fishing with it for trout. I read another thread similar to the question I ask now but did not see any reference to this particular rod. Does anyone have this rod, and what do you think in regards to the application I mentioned for it? I would be lining this rod with the new Rio indicator line and Rio 10 ft DC sink tip. I like the price, and while I could spend more I would prefer not to and save my money for some other toys :D Thanks in advance for any information or thoughts!

Adrian

·
Registered
11,299 Posts
I have heard nothing but good things about these rods,especially for the price, but I have never owned or cast one. I'm sure you couldn't go wrong, however without casting the rod and line you're planning on its hard to make any sort of judgement. If you're unable to cast one I'd say its reputation and value price make it a can't miss. Even if you absolutely hated the rod you wouldn't be out an arm and a leg, and could recoup some of your investment by putting it up in the classifieds.

Nick

·
"Chasing Riseforms"
4,977 Posts
I would think a 5 wt. of that length might suit you better. How big of trout are you fishing for? The boys out west here use 6 wts. for salmon off the beach quite often.

·
Registered
2,851 Posts
Get the 5 wt. or even the 4 wt. I like using light rod weights for high stick nymphing. Also check out the new ECHO Czech nymph rods... similar priced, but in longer lengths. A 6 wt. will wear you out after a few hours.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey everyone,

I appreciate the feedback and I will consider everything that has been suggested. I have a few trout rods from 4-5 in various lengths and actions and was looking for a 6 to add to my small collection. While we don't have the kind of rivers and species of salmonids you guys do "jealous" there is a river I fish often enough where a stout 6 or even a 7 wt would be appropriate for swinging big streamers and multi nymph rigs with a longer rod. This is what I was thinking of using it for. I have a chance to test cast this rod at a local shop and will do so. I always try and test out the gear before I can if possible. As an aside, I would be using this rod on the Vineyard and a RI salt pond for schoolie stripers when the worm hatch is on for the little guys!

Thanks again,

Adrian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.