1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Robert
3,012 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's the wild and scenic section that ends at Gold bar. I've done it before but never fished. Sounds like most of the guides just nymph from the boat (like everywhere) then?

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
The best swinging and fishing that time of year would likely be from Gold Bar towards the mouth. You could probably swing some tailouts in the Canyon. Wondering why you'd pick that time of year as it's likely you could spend several days in heavy weather. IIRC most of those trips involve camping on the riverside with options for 2 or 3 nights at riverside lodges. Morrison's Rogue River Lodge could probably give you better information as to fishing techniques for that section. BTW, the 25 & 26 are free fishing days in Oregon.

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
Sorry I can't provide help on the topic but am following this closely as I will need to go down there on business too. Not the preferred time but would still like to spend a day on the water while in the area. Hoping to glean whatever info can be provided.

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
I'd bring both rods, you never know. If you have the time, it'd be worth going either downstream or upriver on ending your trip. Upper river, Shady Cove to the Cole River Hatchery has summer/fall fish that time of year and good bank access. I don't know about lower river, but you could get local updates when you leave for the trip. For the upper river, Nate Bailey at http://southernoregonflyfishing.blogspot.com/ is a great source of information and guide. Very reasonable and a super guy to fish with.

·
Registered
5,050 Posts
If it were summer time, I'd say you'd have some excellent opportunities swinging from the "camping" bars; but, this time of year, there may not be any bars to fish from. May just be strictly boat (fast) action.

Pose your question to the guys over on Westfly, there are few Rogue locals on there.

Also, here's a great site for river levels...

http://levels.wkcc.org/?P=Oregon.html

River is humming through there currently, double summer time levels....it can be hairy even then.

Double hook patterns were (maybe still are) the preferred technique drifted behind the boat as you float.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Double hook patterns were (maybe still are) the preferred technique drifted behind the boat as you float.
They drift them out front, downstream of the boat. Lazy man's fishing. Just hold the rod, maybe give it little twitch now & then, as the guide rows you down through the slot. Depending on the water, sink tips or Teeny lines.

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
They will be entering the system with every storm, most winter fish spawn in the Illinois and Applegate system IIRC. More a matter of water conditions than if there are fish. Are you doing this trip with a guide/outfitter? They should know.
Think about hitting the NU on your way home if water conditions are good, IIRC December is the beginning of good numbers of Winter fish.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The flow was around 10000 and seemed pretty blown. Just left the rod in the case and had some quality time with the lady. Sent the left line at Rainey and did a huge stern ender out of the hole. Pretty sporty.

Forgot how beautiful that river is. Awesome trip. Now down in Cali on the cal salmon and Klamath for the next week.

·
Robert
3,012 Posts
There should be steelhead In the Trinity!
The Winter fish have finally arrived; not big numbers yet but they are all the way up to Lewiston. Took a bright 10lb. +/-wild buck yesterday that just hammered a golden stone pattern. Had two other tugs that were tentative, no love. Haven't heard anything from the K.
Water froze in the park supply this am, I'm waiting to go out this am, hoping the fish will be more active with sun on the water. Took yesterday's at 10:30. Water temps 46.
George, I'll be in Lewiston until Saturday, let me know if you want to head over this way.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.