Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking on this fine site for some time now. Finally registering so I can see the pics in the forum threads and maybe chip in my two cents every now and again.

Anyway, been wondering for a while now... I've seen your sign but.... just how many deadheads are there plying these waters??

Nice to meet you all.

P

·
Tight line takes ain't no fakes!!
263 Posts
I've been in recovery for 25 years or so......it ain't working.

You can't shake the fat man!

Pan, Charley is the man. Just listened again to that Betty Nelson Sultan show from 68. They pretty much rip it right out of the gate with DS>SS.Definitely the same kind of energy that was found in the recording of Live Dead.One of the better Caution/ Feedback....I could go on.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I have their greatest hits record and saw Jerry Garcia with Dave Grisman once in San Francisco. Does that count? :)

·
still an authority on nothing
2,194 Posts
I saw the Dead in NJ at the Meadowlands in the late 70's with Willie Nelson, and the New Riders of the Purple Sage, a show of about 120,000 stoned people. You can tell 'cuz I can't remember what year...
Do I count? Hope I remembered that right.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Spaz, that would be 9/2/78 at Giants Stadium. Prettty good show.

Set 1: Jack Straw, FOTD, Minglewood, Dire Wolf, L.L Rain, Stagger Lee, Miracle, Peggy-O, Lazy Lightning> Supplication

Set 2: Good Lovin, Scarlet> Fire, Estimated> Eyes> Drumz> Sugar Magnolia

Encore: Saturday Night

·
still an authority on nothing
2,194 Posts
I was in the infield, to the right of the sound tower.
I heard a guy jumped off the top of the stadium at that show
man, that picture brings it all back, waker.
I told my wife last night "man I can't remember what year I went, but these guys I bet have the playlists!" Bingo, Pan!
I also saw them at Madison Square Garden, that date might be tougher to nail down.

·
Rod tubes in the overhead compartment
144 Posts
"Here".

My birthday show was at the Fillmore East: 11/7/68.
Began attending performances in 1984.
Saw Jerry's last show in Chicago. Glad I went.
Before that, saw many shows east, west, and midwest during my formative years.

Really missed Brent when he died.
Bruce was a nice chapter.
Happy Birthday Donna Jean!

We're eveywhere.

·
Ignored Member
12,110 Posts
Some friends and I were visiting San Fran sometime in the late sixties (I think). We were somewhere in the Haight-Ashbury district and watched as a couple of old school buses pulled into an empty lot and started unloading equipment. Wondering what the hell was going on we hung out and watched. There was some good mexican dirt being passed around also. We never turned down free weed. After about an hour the Dead showed up and put on about a 3 to 4 hour impromptu street concert. Way cool. That was the first time I saw them.

Disclaimer: I wouldn't call myself a dead head but I guess I am one by default having seen them in the late sixties, early seventies about 5 times. I think.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Not a dead head but seen em a few times (and have family that are/were seriously under the influence)... So here is my question... I am after the best recording of "the Loser" that I can get my hands on...
I guess Jerry rarely preformed it and I get that... emotionally exhausting... but could some one of you real followers recomend a concert/tape or show where he really belts this one out?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not a hard core Dead Head but grew up in the Eugene, Or area. Plenty of time around the Kesey clan out at the farm. We used to have parties in the barn with Further outside. Last concert I saw was Oakland for New Years. I don't remember what year it was but Ken Kesey came out and did a reading I believe. The details are a bit fuzzy.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Check out this site and the Loser from 7-22-84 at Ventura.....considered by many to be the best. The site streams the show so just click on the song and Viola!

http://www.archive.org/details/gd84-07-22.sbd.cole.5896.sbeok.shnf
Man, thanks so much... that's the very version of the loser I had on an old battered cassette tape that I hauled to AK to sling fish in the middle 80s. I think my brother gave it to me...Tape is long gone, I just figured the Dead on it was too... The whole concert is really amazing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.