Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we are heading to the ronde in june and will be floating from state line to boggans. does anyone have any thoughts on fly patterns to tie and/or colors to concentrate on. we have tied some double bunnies medium and small in blue and white. mike w

·
Banned
7 Posts
do you know about the water there in june. if so i may be able to answer a few questions for you.

if not find out about minnow populations(what kinds and when they spawn),types of water grasses, rocky or silt bottoms and water temp for me and i'll get back to you.

what kind of gear are you using for these bassies?

·
$2 coyote steak
97 Posts
In June, you should be able to throw poppers (at least in the morning and evenings). Yep, mouse patterns too. That said, if you get 80-90 degrees with no cloud cover...they will hide out a little, pretty warm for them on the surface with that heat. Still, they typically wont be in more than 8-10 feet of water at the most...usually I get them in 1-5 feet of water. Colors? Eh, the ronde usually follows with dark for dark days and light for light days. Black, chartreuse, and white have all worked well for me out there...also "rootbeer" tends to slay, especially with a brown or black tail (marabou or rabbit - you pick though don't tie it too long or you will get short strikes all day). Great river to "try out" new flies you can dream up. I have talked to some of the gear guys who fish "smoke" and "pumpkin" tubes, especially at the mouth of the Ronde...if not familiar with these colors for soft plastic baits, make sure to find out what this looks like.

Beyond that, buggers/streamers/baitfish stuff that has good "jigging" action. Fishing from the bank last year I pulled about 5-6 fish out of the same spot with a chartreuse chenille/marabou creation of mine with red eyes. Was just casting it into the current, letting it swing to the rocks and then jigging it. The smallies would dart out and grab it as it bounced up and down in the shallows. Naturally the river has trout/steelhead smolt, crawfish, stoneflies, sculpins, as well as caddis/mayflies/midges. With some pretty hefty boils/whitewater in some places, a lot of this natural food will get stunned coming through the chop so the smallies will hide out looking for an easy meal...i.e. a trout smolt that looks broken/wounded. If fishing subsurface, best advice I can possibly give you is "make your fly look like it has a broken motor". Erradic strips, pauses, change direction...speed up, slow down, etc. Make sure not to get into a rythm of just stripping a bugger back to the boat at the same rate...will be a lot less hookups.

Fish the structure, but don't be afraid to look for smallies in "trouty" spots...the Ronde is weird like that, you may find them where you normally would throw an elk hair caddis. Of yeah, dry dropper works too. To be honest, the smallies arent that picky out there...but you need to put the fly in front of their faces. So bring a floater/intermediate/sinktip or full sinking with flies for various levels of the water column.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.