Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are going to relocate from the greater Seattle area to something more rural. We hope to do so in the late spring/early summer of 2017 time frame. We're taking a trip the first week of April to check out the Roseburg and Bend areas of OR. We're not set on living in these towns per say, but those general areas seem interesting: good fishing nearby, reasonable property prices, able to find a place with some peace and quiet, but stay within an hour of a major airport (gots to be able to fly out and see the grand babies right?)
Looking for input from folks who live there, and or have some knowledge of those locations. Thanks in advance.

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
If you're into flyfishing for many difference species of fish, Bend is the place to be. Plus, it is large enough that there is the culture factor.

Roseburg is more rustic and smaller. The main draw there is the Umpqua and North Umpqua for steelhead.

I guess if you prefer fewer people but fewer options for fishing, Roseburg is the place. If you don't mind a rapidly growing town such is Bend but want to live in Oregon's Fly Fishing Central, then I'd lean toward Bend.

·
Registered
299 Posts
My wife and I are going to relocate from the greater Seattle area to something more rural. We hope to do so in the late spring/early summer of 2017 time frame. We're taking a trip the first week of April to check out the Roseburg and Bend areas of OR. We're not set on living in these towns per say, but those general areas seem interesting: good fishing nearby, reasonable property prices, able to find a place with some peace and quiet, but stay within an hour of a major airport (gots to be able to fly out and see the grand babies right?)
Looking for input from folks who live there, and or have some knowledge of those locations. Thanks in advance.
Bend also has a little better access to healthcare and to future healthcare (developing). Bend area is doing some more modern development with its growth. I have family in both areas, they are both pretty, but fishing in Bend is superior IMHO.

·
dirty dog
5,326 Posts
I grew up in Medford, OR and spent some fine quality time in the Roseburg area.
Not to say that the area around Bend is not as good.
The weather in central OR is colder, no growing season. I saw it snow on the 4th of July in Bend.
So the ? I would ask myself would I like colder, drier, or warmer wetter.
Also remember you are only an hour and half from central OR, from Roseburg.
Steelhead or Brown trout??????

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the great responses. Quick question. Are the trout opportunities in Roseburg that limited, or do they simply pale compared to Bend? Perhaps it's some of both those propositions? I like chasing steel, but I wouldn't want to stick myself in a trout desert...

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Bend is very nice place. It's a much larger city though and way more expensive. But not near the crime as south west Oregon especially property crime. Weather wise both are way better than this place but which place isn't it rains more in Roseburg. Both places have some great fishing.

·
Registered
723 Posts
I would consider Eugene over Roseburg but would choose Bend over either.
Bend has more trout, rivers and lakes and a few hours South or East of Bend the trout fishing is even better, rivers and lakes.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I lived in bend for 10 years during the housing boom. The trout fishing there was awesome. I moved because of housing prices and the fact that the lower Deschutes was going to shit and I'm more into steelhead anymore. If I moved back I would look at La pine area. Your way closer to the best still water fishing and the North umpqua is a little closer. I have thought about Roseburg too but I think Rob Allen nailed it on reasons not to. Fishing the sheep's bridge stretch of wickiup reservoir from July through August will put you into more big browns and rainbows than anywhere I have fished.

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
Just to be fair to Roseburg/ Southern Oregon There are lots of great wineries and lots of great fishing and though i am not into Meth I'd choose Roseburg over Bend any day. It's smaller and not near as busy. and well The North Umpqua!

·
Registered
4,448 Posts
Don't sleep on the gorge. Fills all the buckets you mention.
Ditto. Based on your criteria I'd give Hood River a look. Might not be the trout mecca Bend is but good trout water is reasonably close and much better options for steelhead, salmon, bass, and others (carp, shad, sturgeon). You're an hour-ish from PDX and, three-ish hours from saltwater. Also no shortage of restaurants, wineries, breweries, etc... All situated in some of the best scenery in the nation.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I don't know too much about roseburg. I know plenty bout bend living there for around 12 yrs. I will say that southern oregon really is fantastic fishing. It may not get the headlines besides the umpqua, but there is some fantastic trout fishing down there. and steelhead fishing. More options in bend probably on the trout front.
Winter in bend can be brutal. Very cold, and if your bend/south of bend you can be snowed in for months. Summers are heaven though.
If i was basing where i lived only on fly fishing for trout and steelhead i would probably be in medford/grants pass area truthfully. umpqua, the rogue, southern coastal rivers. a few unmentionables...really good chromer fishing....
Trout...umm...can you say klamath lake...rocky point, the wood and williamson rivers...close enough the the southern tip of the cascade lakes...
Tough choice to me.

·
Registered
632 Posts
While you are checking out Bend you might drive 20 minutes west to Sisters and take a look at it. Redmond, about 20 minutes from both Bend and Sisters has a good airport. If I am reading the stats correctly the Redmond field has about 25,000 arrivals/departures a month.

Prineville, about 45 minutes from Bend and about 20 minutes east of Redmond, might intrigue you, too.

·
Have you swung a fly today?-
480 Posts
Ditto. Based on your criteria I'd give Hood River a look. Might not be the trout mecca Bend is but good trout water is reasonably close and much better options for steelhead, salmon, bass, and others (carp, shad, sturgeon). You're an hour-ish from PDX and, three-ish hours from saltwater. Also no shortage of restaurants, wineries, breweries, etc... All situated in some of the best scenery in the nation.
Yes agreed and way closer to civilization

·
Have you swung a fly today?-
480 Posts
Roseburg is a shit hole of a town . Bend is beautiful. Meth with hints of coal mining and ********

Mind boggle that these are the two options ....Salem better closer to pdx ....albeit meth but culture. Dundee better even yet

·
Registered
8,817 Posts
Roseburg is a shit hole of a town . Bend is beautiful. Meth with hints of coal mining and ********

Mind boggle that these are the two options ....Salem better closer to pdx ....albeit meth but culture. Dundee better even yet
I tend to prefer ******** to hipsters if only by a little.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.