Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sixteen year old son has told me he doesn't want to backpack this year so we're renting a kayak from Ross Lake resort and camping for five days starting next week. The ranger at Marblemount sorta said the fishing in the lake sucked which kinda surprised me. I know Big Beaver Creek is catch and release. The primary purpose of the trip is to see if we like kayak camping but have any flyfishers done this trip or have any suggestions for tactics/flies? I figure I'll drag some Woolly Buggers around and concentrate on the creek outlets in the evenings. Thanks for your help, I'll post when I get back.

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both Nick and fishnfella, I'm kind of locked into the kayaking thing so I'll be going more for the scenery/seclusion angle this time. I'm thinking we might have some time to tack on some time after to get over to Montana if the wife allows. Thanks for the help!

· Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well we only lasted for three days, stayed the first night at Rainbow Point, then Lightning Creek, then Big Beaver. Nada for fish, mostly dragged or deep stripped damsels and a fire butt woolly bugger. Didn't hit it too hard since I wasn't getting any encouragement. Surprises me how little surface activity you see. Lots of folks trolling pop gear, seemed to get some fish. We hiked four miles up Big Beaver and it was very high and silty and access was impossible.
On the plus side the weather was fantastic, scenery incredible and we had a great time. Big Beaver looks intriguing for September and you could stay at the resort and have them water taxi you up. Lots of mosquitoes at Big Beaver, the other spots weren't bad. Highly recommend the trip for a camping experience.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.