Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Both are excellent reels from reputable manufacturers. However, what kind of fishing are you doing? If steelhead, then you'll want the reel that, for the money, offers the greatest capacity and a drag that can take some pounding.

I have both and like 'em equally well.

Cheers,

Michael

·
Registered
341 Posts
One of the factors is the cost of extra spools. I have a Ross Cimmaron 2 and I think it is the finest reel that I have owned so far. One of the reasons that I chose it is the sound it makes when a big fish is taking line. While not a raucus as my Hardy Princess, it has a pleasant sounding "click". It has a very good drag system and may be braked by using the rim of the spool. I've always been a Hardy fan but this reel is twice as good at about half the cost.

Don't know the cost differential between a Cimmaron and a Colorado but believe the upgraded features to be worth it.

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
That's a close call. I like them both for similar reasons. I would go with the Ross since I have not seen the failure rate in the Ross Reels that I have seen in some of the Orvis Reels. having said that, the Orvis line has been, and is continuously being, improved. I like Ross reels because I have really pushed mine allot and they remain unchanged and still work really well.And they have very good, nearly overnight, service on their products and keep a stock of spools, and related parts, even for discontinued products. And they are really nice people too!

·
AKA: Gregory Mine
998 Posts
BEEN TOLD BY MORE THAN ONE SOURCE THAT ROSS IS CHANGING THIER LINE OF REELS ON THE UPCOMING YEAR... NOT SURE IF TRUE, BUT I WOULD LOOK INTO THAT TO SEE IF IT SWAYES MY DECISION...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Go with the Ross. I've got a Cimmaron 2 and a Cimmaron 3 on my 5 wt and 6 wt respectively. I use 'em exclusively for tiny little steelhead wannabes. :BIGSMILE

Cheers,

Michael

·
Registered
216 Posts
While I can't speak for him, I suspect he's referring to smaller rainbows....I hope.

As far as reels go, you all may laugh, but I use the same reel I've had since age 6. A Perrine automatic reel. Can't change spools, terrible weighting for my 6 wt, decent drag, horrible sound when fish run, but it comes in handy to suck up excess fly line quickly when fighting a fish!

I hope to get a different reel sometime, but it works well enough to catch fish, so why change! :DUNNO

- Tom

·
Registered
177 Posts
I hate to ask this but are you talking about them little fish called smolts?
Nah, I'm referring to non-anadromous rainbows, you know, girly trout. The kind in the upper Snoqualmie (above the falls), the Yakima, and Rattlesnake lake. :WINK

Cheers,

Michael

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
I saw several Evolution Reels on sunday, with a manufacturer's Representative. They are sweet as can be. For your 8 weight? I would go with the larger Evolution which will be available later in the spring or early summer. The Ross line is available via www.rossreels.com and you should look up the website for all the latest news. they are not significantly changing much of anything this coming year. The biggest news is the new Evolution Reel.And they are discontinuing the Canyon 3 to make way for this.They also started porting the San Miguel and call it the "Visions" version san Miguel. I love my canyon 3, and they still have spools and parts for it, as well as my older San Miguel without porting.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've never fished with an Orvis but I own several Ross reels. I love the drag on my Ross Canyon 4 although I had the spool slip off on the Deschutes this fall and that was a pain to retrieve it. I just bought a Evolution for my 5 wt. and plan on buying the same for my daughter's Christmas present. The reels are smooth, well made, and have an excellent drag system.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Dude..... I don't think there is a bad or a good reel when it comes to these two reels, it is a matter of preference... I have a ross on my 7# spey and a orvis battenkill LA on my 8#. The Ross has failed me once when I hooked a a monster of a metal head...., I sent the pieces back and they replaced it.... no questions asked, they even paid my initial shipping... The Orvis has not failed to date ( touch wood ) and I hooked in to 7 chums this past weekend with it on the skagit and there was one locomotive that cleaned my clock and my flyline.. :REALLYMAD The reason why I mentioned the ross failed is not to trash the Ross( I love it ) , what I am saying is that if you spend that kind of money and it fails... The after sales service is so incredible ..your money is safe....

SteelheadJunky

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have been fishing with my Orvis Battenkill for 15 years in Michigan, New York, Oregon and Washington. I fish strictly Steelies and Salmon. The only maintenance I have EVER done on this reel is to stick it in the water once or twice when fishing...I am going to tear it apart this weekend to thoroughly do its 15 year maintenance but I think you see my point...never has it failed me. I highly recommend these reels and their sister reel, the green mt...spare spools are about 15$...

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
ROSS

I own a Colorado, several Cimmarons, and a couple of Gunnisons. They all perform nearly flawlessly. One problem with one reel and Ross fixed it for free(less shipping of course, couple of bucks.) I like everything about them, period.

Roper,

Vincit Omina Veritas

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.