Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance. 

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Jeeze. ANother quality company fawkin sold out to big business. But I should have known something was up when I started getting lots of email "announcements" from them and they started that off shore production shit. Then they decided to make fly rods? What ever happened to doing one thing really well, and NOT trying for World domination and trying for exponential profit increases every quarter...

Corporate fly fishing sux.

Griswald

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I got the e-mail, too and right away asked myself, "What the heck does 3M know about building fly reels?" It's sort of like when AMF bought Harley Davidson, don't you think? The value of my 20+ real Ross reels just went up, I think.

·
Anywhere ~ Anytime
1,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The value of my 20+ real Ross reels just went up, I think.
I'm betting your right. Remember Harris Reels? Or the original Charletons? Where are they now..

I tried for a long time to score one of the early/original Ross models at an acceptable [for me] cost.. finally gave up. Wishing I wouldn't have now!

·
Banned
141 Posts
What does 3M know about fly reels? Ever heard of a little company called Scientific Angler ? They've been in the fish biz longer than almost any current American company. I'm not sure why this is a bad thing. The new rods I have handled are very well made, at least the spey rods and I'm confident that the reels aren't going to suffer from this sale.

·
Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater....Know Grizzler
14,853 Posts
The fly fishing industry is consolidating like many other industries. Is it a bad thing that the same holding company owns Sage, Redington & Rio? I don't hear anyone bitching about the quality of those products.

I don't think it is a bad thing that Ross is being acquired. I own a ton of Ross reels. I've always been a Ross fan, but not so much lately of their new reel products. I'll take their old stuff like the Gunnisons, Canyons, BG's over their new stuff any day.
Hopefully they'll now have the monetary resource of 3M to produce even better products .

·
Registered
3,996 Posts
I don't think 3M needs to know anything about fly reels, although their sub-company SA does. I'm thinking things won't change much; Ross will still have great customer service, I'll bet they keep their production plant in Colorado, and they will continue to build good reels at a decent price.

·
FUBAR
971 Posts
The fly fishing industry is consolidating like many other industries. Is it a bad thing that the same holding company owns Sage, Redington & Rio? I don't hear anyone bitching about the quality of those products.

I don't think it is a bad thing that Ross is being acquired. I own a ton of Ross reels. I've always been a Ross fan, but not so much lately of their new reel products. I'll take their old stuff like the Gunnisons, Canyons, BG's over their new stuff any day.
Hopefully they'll now have the monetary resource of 3M to produce even better products .
I completely agree with Stonefish.....I am a long time Ross fan and don't really see this as a bad thing. It would be nice to see Ross take a step back to some of their older model designs, the Canyon is my rell of choice and wish that I had picked up a few more while they were still in production.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The thing that I hate most about this is that my hopes are now dashed of them ever resurrecting the San Miguel reel series.
I agree,the San Miguel was an art piece.
Tried for on Ebay a while back, my pockets aren't deep enough.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
I don't think 3M needs to know anything about fly reels, although their sub-company SA does. I'm thinking things won't change much; Ross will still have great customer service, I'll bet they keep their production plant in Colorado, and they will continue to build good reels at a decent price.
Exactly. I rather doubt that 3M would put Ross in the same Division as say their toothpaste subsidiary. That said, 3m is one of the largest worldwide companies going, world wide presence and very deep pockets on which Ross could draw if they wish/want to/need to 'expand.'

If you want to worry about a reel company, concentrate on Tioga and Teton. Not to mention just hope you don't need to get one of their reels repaired.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Well, I bet you all a case of your favorite beer that within 3 years all the reels will go "off shore." Agreed Ross has made good products in the past...In the past.

3M would not do this deal unless they felt they can squeeze mucho profits out down the pipeline...Corporate America does this daily...it is fine just not my cup of tea.
K-2 was a fine company for 35 or so years and made their skis locally...then the owners sold, then the company sold again, then aquired, and now all their skis, bikes, skates, etc. now made off shore, and the brand is, well, junk.

Griswald

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
No offense to SA but I probably would never buy one of the reels. I have purchased the lines from time to time but have never really cared for the product. To each his own. I prefer other companies' products.
What does 3M know about fly reels? Ever heard of a little company called Scientific Angler ? They've been in the fish biz longer than almost any current American company. I'm not sure why this is a bad thing. The new rods I have handled are very well made, at least the spey rods and I'm confident that the reels aren't going to suffer from this sale.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I have always liked Ross reels but to think that they will go back and re-introduce classics like the San Miguel , Gunnison, and Canyon BG's is to be dreaming. I look at the latest entries like the Flycast and Flywater reels and see a less quality product at a cheaper price. That tells me that the company was trying to keep up with new products but the recession has had its toll. Now they are acquired by a large holding company. Whether that company allows Ross to continue marketing US made products or goes offshore is irrelevant. I think in the long run, we've seen the last of the really good Ross Reels. It's just an opinion so you can take it as you like. I'm just saddened to see a really great company sucked up by a major conglomarate.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I got the e-mail, too and right away asked myself, "What the heck does 3M know about building fly reels?" It's sort of like when AMF bought Harley Davidson, don't you think? The value of my 20+ real Ross reels just went up, I think.
I think 3M actually knows quite a bit. Don't they own Scientific Anglers too? Ooops, saw the post above, should have read the whole thread.

I own too Ross reels - a CLA and an older Colorado. The Colorado is one of my favorite reels. The CLA is kindof a POS.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.