Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone fished it lately? I can't remember if it closes around this time of year or not. If anybody knows the closure dates could you please post them. I'll also give up a little secret. This lake has some of the biggest bluegill I've ever seen in Washington and they absolutely kill little yellow poppers once it warms up (June.) If your new to flyfishing and just want to catch something while perfecting your casting, check this place out, its outside of Lyle.:dunno

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
IveofIone
Hey Ben, Rowland is closed right now and reopens on the 26th for the general opener. It closes Feb 28 each year which is really a shame. It not only contains nice bluegill but a huge population of crappie also. And the bass run to several pounds there as well. The lake on the north side of the road receives planted rainbows hence the huge crowds on opening day. To my knowledge the south lake receives no plants but if it does it gets almost zero pressure due to the lack of a boat ramp. The south lake is the better lake of the two unless you want to catch planted trout for the first couple of weeks of the season. Another surprise this lake holds is a good number of immature chinook around the opener. Over a period of years I have caught these on several occasions and was always baffled by their presence. They are uniformly sized around 16-18" and are really hot fish, particularly after landing a bunch of panfish on crappie jigs. If you like to eat crappie, fish the rocks right in front of the house on the south lake-sometimes they get in there as thick as flies and you can catch all you can stand to clean in an hour or so. Rowland is just a fun lake with so many species available, essentially any thing that swims in the Columbia gets in there including an occasional sturgeon. I took a young boy up there a few days after the opener one year in hope of getting him some action on a fly rod. We caught trout on damsel patterns until our arms drooped. After sundown in the summer bass will take streamers and buggers right along the rip rap next to the road-some 4-6# in size. The wind is the devil there in the spring but if you can catch it on an overcast calm day you are going to hammer some fish. One other thing-it has a decent Hexagenia hatch around the 4th of July and fish get pretty excited about that. Ive

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ive. I usually fish it in my jonboat and I'll hit it at night for the bass. I've seen some good ones in there but only caught 10-12 inchers in the daytime. The little pond just West of it is where I fill up an crappie. Is it the 26th yet?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.