Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Pat Coleman
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody tried this line out? The wife and I fished it most of the past year, and it's awesome. It's a single handed spey line and for those tight places it really works well. We fished several spots that we just passed up in the before. Gray's Sporting Journal has it as a "Best of 2010" in their latest issue. Check it out.

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
The posts were from three different authors, and one has been part of the WFF site for a long time, but still this one smells spammy.

·
Pat Coleman
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Herein lies the problem with most fly fisherman that I've met. I didn't see the other posts, it's not spam. I just wanted hear what other people's experience was with the line. I frequent this forum to gather information and share info, isn't that it's purpose? I can see what kind of reponses I can look for in the future.

·
Long Lost Member
20,205 Posts
I've not yet cast that line or any other from the Royal Wulff line. I have heard positive things about them but I've not seen them or tried them myself. I like the idea of a line that you can single hand or single hand spey cast. I've been using my outbounds and airflo forty plus lines for that and it seems to work okay. Spam or not, thoughts about lines are fun to hear from others.

·
Hot Carl
8,798 Posts
Herein lies the problem with most fly fisherman that I've met. I didn't see the other posts, it's not spam. I just wanted hear what other people's experience was with the line. I frequent this forum to gather information and share info, isn't that it's purpose? I can see what kind of reponses I can look for in the future.
Forums like this get spammed a lot. Someone coming on and raving about a product, but only has a couple posts on their account previous is usually a sign of such things. That's the only reason it was brought up.

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
Forums like this get spammed a lot. Someone coming on and raving about a product, but only has a couple posts on their account previous is usually a sign of such things. That's the only reason it was brought up.
'zactly right.

That aside though, I'm not a big fan of the Wulff Triangle Tapers. They're great once you get a fair amount of line out past the tip top, but close in I find them hard to load. That makes for a lot of rapid rod-waving to try to get more and fatter line out, cussing and generally less satisfaction from a less-than-intuitive line. Guess that's why I only have a couple of TTs but several dozen DTs and WFs.

My 3¢ worth,

K

·
Steelhead-a-holic
950 Posts
I'll jump in cause I've used the line and love it!

Initial post may or may not be spam, but the reason I like it is because it's a cross between the best of a switch line and a skagit line for single hand or short(switch) spey rods.

I've used the 8wt with 10' sinking polyleaders on a 4wt Deer Creek Switch for pinks and it was the perfect combo. Those big Skagit pinks had that rod flexed into the cork!

Iit was a perfect length (20' line +10' poly) for speycasting with that rod.

I also tried it on a 6wt with t10 tips and it performed well with tips up to 11'.

Summing it up, it's a very versatile line that excels for speycasting with a switch rod when used with polyleaders up thru t10 tips.

FYI - you do need a tip for this line unless you're using a really short rod (6-7') in tight quarters. It's only 20' long, after all.

I've only tried a bit of overhead casting with this line on the switch rods. Seemed to work well, but I don't do a lot of overhead casting so didn't have much to compare it to.

Brian

·
Just an Old Man
35,207 Posts
I believe that the line makers keep coming out with new lines because you all will run right out and buy it. Me, I just stick with what works. The only reason I end up with a new line is that my old one wears it's self out with all the casting one has to do when flyfishing.

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
i've never run across this one before and it's kind of interesting but now I'm kind of turned off by the comments so I guess i'll wait.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
My position as a Wulff dealer will leave no ambiguity as to my motivations.
But I would like to clear up a few things.

-This line was designed by former ‘The Morning Hatch’ owner Gary Sandstrom. I don’t think that ‘Bulletsnhooks’ is associated with the company in any way.
-Kent: This is not a Triangle Taper line. The Triangle Tapers became so popular that they have more brand recognition than ‘Royal Wulff Products’. (It doesn’t help that they put triangle taper on the box of all their lines). The taper of this line is actually very similar to the Rio Skagit line, only shorter.
- OMJ: I’m sure you’re just being grumpy, but this line is pretty different from other fly lines. ‘Different’ not necessarily meaning better; it would make a horrible dry fly line or distance line, but is an excellent single hand Spey line or Nymphing line.
Since it is basically a Skagit style Spey line for your single hand rod, not surprisingly, it is a spectacular Spey or roll casting line for tight spots. ‘Double Spey’ does a great job of summing it up.
-Double Spey: If you ever overhead cast it, consider using a 14’ poly leader to smooth it out. But even then it casts like you might expect a short shooting head to.

For those of you who don’t want to take my word for it, we have one on a demo spool that you can try. But, as you might guess from the description, this line is much better on moving water than on the pavement.
Anil

·
Registered
844 Posts
Anil , what rod length do you think would be the upper limit to get the best out of this line ? I have an 11 foot 3/4 switch rod that I`ve lined with a 40+ , and it`s fine , but I`m looking for other options .

·
Dues past due
234 Posts
Bulletsnhooks,

People here prefer you use the search function before posting a repetitive thread. Don't you get tired of (CNN or similar new agency) teasing you with the same hook just to find they don't have any more information than an hour ago? Do you curse at them for being repetitive and not coming up with anything new to contribute to your life? So do the folks here.

If you read all there is on this site and then ask a deeper or more insightful question, then your efforts will pay large dividends. Start your thread with a point that you've done that. Those responses will be well worth your time here. I can speak from experience.

BTW- If 'most' of the flyfishermen you've met have left you a poor impression about attitude, I urge you to meet many more. There's a very small percentage that I wouldn't want to be on the water with.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Brian,

I have used the 8wt ambush alot. I have used it on single hand 7 and 8 wts with great success and also on 4 and 5wt switch rods. The only thing is you will find that it works better with longer mono or poly leaders. I use it as a shooting head on the single hand rods and as a skagit type line on the switch rods.

·
Remember when you could remember everything?
7,182 Posts
-Kent: This is not a Triangle Taper line. The Triangle Tapers became so popular that they have more brand recognition than 'Royal Wulff Products'. (It doesn't help that they put triangle taper on the box of all their lines). The taper of this line is actually very similar to the Rio Skagit line, only shorter.
You're right about Wulff putting Triangle Taper in their box and on this ad that appears in the most recent issue of NWFF. Confused, I called the Royal Wulff folks and a person named Donna assured me it is indeed the very same triangle taper profile from all their other lines, just shorter and with a greater density in the forward part of the tape to compensate for the very problems I mentioned when roll casting or casting at short distances.

K

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.