Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to try it out the day after christmas and was wondering if anyone had fished it recently or around this time of year in the past? any shops near the area that i could drop into or call before if they are not going to be open cuz the holiday? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I fished it at this time last year and the year before. Wooly buggers and the like cast tight to the banks and stripped are generally best. Did well last year on both trout and perch in early December.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm heading to my place at Potholes (Moses Lake) Sunday-Thursday and plan on a couple of trips to Rufus. I plan on fishing the upper 2 net pens so I will give a report when I return.

·
Sorry, I'm not set up for that.
102 Posts
Fished there yesterday and day before, three fish, one 12lbs, one 8lbs and one 5lbs, HOLY COW! I've never caught fish like that, my brother in law has it down. He has had 30 fish days. The action was slow, but with fish that size, they're worth the wait. All of them were caught in less than 12 feet of water along the shore. It was colder than @#$%, 19 degrees, but still worth it, I'll be headed back in a couple weeks. I saw a fish a guy caught that was at least 15lbs. Strip any decent streamer/ bugger pattern, these guys are aggressive, and take it hard.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I concur with Trdigger..

Just got back from Eastern Washington and fished Rufus 2 days. Ended up with 6 fish for 2 days between me and my friend. He smoked me with with 4 fish to my 2. The first day he caught a 13 lb and a 10 lb Trip. I caught a 7 lb. Second day he caught a 7 lb and 5 lb and I caught a 5 lb Trip. It was really cold out with the first day at 19 degrees air temp on the water. We fished near the first set of net pens and the fish were holding at the bar in around 12-15 feet of water. Talked to a few guys during the 2 days, most were gear guys having about the same sucess. If you have a boat or a friend that is willing to take you, you gotta get out there. This time of year is ideal for these fish. The low water temp (40 degrees) really turns these guys on for some reason and they are looking for baitfish imitations. Troll dark colored buggers behind wiggle fins 45 degrees against the current and you will be sucessful.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.