Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Be the guide...
5,157 Posts
Sounds good to me.

Here are a few I'm going to send in for my local fishing interests:

Rattlesnake Lake - changed to C&R to reduce the blantant poaching by bait fisherman that can be seen 7 days a week. They could stock the lake with fewer fish because the big draw would be the hold-overs.

N and S Forks of the Snoqualmie - make Selective\C&R year round. Again - poaching is a problem at times. These fisheries could be a lot better if we could reduce the numbers of fish being killed.

Another thought I had was to elimate C&R in terminal salmon fisheries and make any incidentally snagged salmon part of the daily limit (but still unlawful to keep). If the limit is 2 fish, you snag 2 fish - you are done for the day. Would encourage folks to think about the technique they use. Even some fly fisherman think it's ok to snag every other fish they catch sometimes...

·
Be the guide...
5,157 Posts
I chum fish quite a bit. Same for pinks when they are in. I had days where I legally hooked 15 to 20 fish and not on fish was snagged or even 'lined'/'flossed'. But I've also been in spots where as you said, snagging one in 3 fish is hard not to do. So I find another spot or change my technique. Snagging fish is no fun to me...
I would much rather give up my chance to C&R 20 fish in a day on some terminal fisheries just to get those crackers out there who insist on setting the hook on every little tap (or just because they think salmon my be near). Let them get their 2 fish for the smoker and go home.

More enforcement would be great but it costs a lot more than updating\adding a new rule. So I'm just thinking of a more likely approach. I'm not sure what we can do to get more\better enforcement...

·
Be the guide...
5,157 Posts
I fish rattlesnake A LOT and don't see many kids out there. The few I do often are with ******* parents who toss out power bait with them. There are a few who troll around flies and gear and let their kids real in a few fish. But if folks really need to teach their kids how to catch, kill, and prepare trout, there are plenty of places to do that. Pine like is a great place to let them cast out a bobber and worm. Or better yet, teach them that C&R can be a fun thing too.

The problem I have with reducing the limit is that it will do little to nothing to cut down on those who come out and fish with bait. They often come out in big groups and fill up 5 gallon buckets. If they try to hide their bait from a gamie, they may just get away with it. But if no fish are to retained, they'll have to hide their bait and bucket\stringer - which will be much harder...

Those who really want to teach their kids about the outdoors and how to catch fish for 'survival' should take them on a hike into an alpine lake and let them have at a lake full of brookies.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.