Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On page 26 of the 2009/2010 Sport Fishing Rules pamphlet it states that in Marine Areas 5 through 13 "It is unlawful to bring wild salmon or a species of salmon aboard a vessel if it is unlaw to retain that salmon("aboard" means inside the gunwales of a vessel)". Why are sea-run cutthroat not included in this rule since it is also unlawful to retain sea-run cutthroat in these marine areas???? Sea-run cutthroat are much more sensitive to mishandling than are salmon since sea-run cutthroat normally fight until they are totally exhausted plus there is the slime loss issue.

I understand that inclusion of sea-run cutthroat in the "Salmon and Trout Handling Rules" in marine areas 5 through 13 would be difficult to enforce. But including sea-run cutthroat would help to highlight and help to educate all fishermen about the need to handle these wild, sensitive fish carefully. I cringe everytime I see a sea-run cutthroat being held out of the water for a photograph.

I believe that sea-run cutthroat should be added to "Salmon and Trout Handling Rules" for marine areas 5 through 13 during the next major proposed rules changes process. However, the best rule change for marine areas 5 through 13 would be to add another sentence that says "It is unlawful to totally remove sea-run cutthroat from the water". What do other WWF members have to say pro or con on inclusion of either one of these rules changes?

Roger

·
'cuz chicks dig scars
83 Posts
Rules in Marine Area 5 through 13 omits handling protection for sea- run cutthroa

I don't think many guys target them from a boat. I could be wrong though.

In all the years I have fished from a boat for Salmon up here in the North Sound (around Whidbey Island), I have never caught a Sea Run Cutt.

Gary

·
Still truckless now farther away
1,693 Posts
Rules in Marine Area 5 through 13 omits handling protection for sea- run cutthroa

It doesn't matter whether people are or aren't targeting the cutthroat what matters is how they are treated and that justfies changing or adding cutthroat to the salmon listing and not allowing them to be taken from the water. Only the pros have to take the fish out of the water and hold them high, and that's because they have to show how good they are, and why you should give them your business. They have as many idiots as the rest of us amd their livelyhood rests on the fishes survival.

·
Coast to Coast
792 Posts

Sea-run cutthroat are much more sensitive to mishandling than are salmon since sea-run cutthroat normally fight until they are totally exhausted plus there is the slime loss issue.
Are you sure about this?

I've never noticed searun cutts shedding scales to the same degree as, say, immature coho.

·
Registered
4,850 Posts

Roger -
Interesting topic and I agree that it would be a good proposal for the next regulation cycle. Likely the window for submitting such a proposal will be the spring of 2011.

Based on the various handling discussions I have heard in the salmon arena I suspect that some sort of "no fish inside the gunnel of the boat" rule will be neeced to address those anglers that cutthroat from a boat or those boat anglers than might catch one. Might want to think about some sort of two prong approach - No fish over the gunnel for boat anglers and no removal from the water for shore/wading anglers. Obviously serious word smithting would be needed for such an approach but there is time to put forth a well developed proposal.

BTW -
If folks truly think that our cutthroat in the salt are as fragile as salmon I have to question the wisdom of targeting them in the salt. All the immature salmon handling studies I have seen put mortalities in the 10 to 20% range. Even if for cutthroat that mortality is in the low end of that range the fishing impacts in the marine fishery is excessive.

Tight lines
Curt

·
Free Man
1,872 Posts

Roger -
Interesting topic and I agree that it would be a good proposal for the next regulation cycle. Likely the window for submitting such a proposal will be the spring of 2011.
- No fish over the gunnel for boat anglers and no removal from the water for shore/wading anglers. Obviously serious word smithting would be needed for such an approach but there is time to put forth a well developed proposal.
Curt
Presently it is LEGAL but very bad practice to bring cutthroat into a boat with knotted nets, use bait and treble hooks, as well as squish them like a tube of toothpaste for a photo op. The conservation sign we are working to get printed and posted discourages all of these practices. I was under the impression that bait was illegal, but can't find the reference so the text will be edited by WDFW. The next step is to compile all of these suggestions into rule change submissions and get them into the system. Our local group works very closely with a WDFW biologist who is a strong advocate for coastal cutthroat, and he will help us get these into the system. This forum is a great place to start, and Chris has committed to helping us get it publicized.

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts

But Roger...But then they would no longer be able to shake them off of their two baited Siwash Salmon hooks, drop them onto the gravel and sand, and kick them back into the wash!!

So unfair of you fly snobs.... Once again the Urban Eliteists are trying to take away our fish and our right to abuse them.

·
Registered
899 Posts

I'd really like to see the knotted nets banned for all fishing in the State. I also wonder if we could limit hook sizes used in the Sound, maybe to size #2 or #4, specified by a maximum gap distance. Seems to me that smaller hooks would cause less damage to cutthroat and immature salmon than the bigger hooks typically used by salmon fishermen. Any opinions on this?

Tom

·
Sculpin Enterprises
3,461 Posts

Two questions:

1) Is there ANY evidence that populations of searun cutthroat trout are declining under current regulations???
Is this a regulation in search of a problem?
2) Are searun cutts somehow more delicate than their relatives that swim in the Yakima or their rainbow trout cousins that makes handling them a special problem?
We know that these eastside fish are caught multiple times and even survive some pretty rough handling as indicated by missing eyes or damaged jaws, and yet they thrive to be caught and released over and over again. Angling ethics should dictate that fish that are not to be retained are released in a way that increases their recovery and survival. That attack would be more effective than micromanaging via a regulation.

Steve

·
Coast to Coast
792 Posts

Two questions:

1) Is there ANY evidence that populations of searun cutthroat trout are declining under current regulations???
Is this a regulation in search of a problem?
2) Are searun cutts somehow more delicate than their relatives that swim in the Yakima or their rainbow trout cousins that makes handling them a special problem?
We know that these eastside fish are caught multiple times and even survive some pretty rough handling as indicated by missing eyes or damaged jaws, and yet they thrive to be caught and released over and over again. Angling ethics should dictate that fish that are not to be retained are released in a way that increases their recovery and survival. That attack would be more effective than micromanaging via a regulation.

Steve
Good post.

·
Registered
520 Posts

I agree with Cabezon - These fish are doing pretty well. I don't buy the argument that they are more special,fragile, delicate, precious, etc than other fish. They seem to do well after careful handling, and apparently can tolerate the current amount of incidental moron angler pressure from the ill-informed crowd who ignore the rules anyway. So unless we see a valid and scientific reason to add more restrictions, leave the rules alone. We have so many rules already that the bad players ignore, and what we really need IMO is continued improvement in sportsman behavior through education and communication which will lead to better adherence to the current rules.

·
LA RAMS are SUPER BOWL CHAMPIONS!
5,345 Posts

I think is worth trying to include a sentence about cutthroat in the handling rule section. A bigger issue is to protect the small spawining streams in the south sound and Hood Canal areas from excessive development, storm run-off, etc. Also, all coastal cutthroat should be released in streams such as the Stillaguamish, Skykomish, and countless smaller streams to protect the spawners.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.