Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried all the different running lines now with mix feelings on all. Rio runner seems to be my favorite but that's just me. So now I have flipped to P-line floating mono with good results although with the heat and nice days it seems to dry well. I wonder what would happen to a soaked reel from all day in the rain? could it swell and damage a good reel? Anyone used it for any length of time now? It shoots like a bottle-rocket and is cheap 12 bucks for 300 yd.

·
Resident Swinger
1,773 Posts
How do you deal with the tangles in a mono running line? I know it's bound to happen, and it seems like it could be a major pain if you get a bad one. I tried a mono running line once, but it didn't float and would get caught in the water slowing down the line. But a floating mono might be fun.

Have you tried airflo's miracle braid? I love that stuff :)

As to your question, I wouldn't think that it would swell that much to make a difference, but then again, what the hell do I know??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Let me qualify what this stuff is (not mono) P-line Hydrafloat : It is a Spectra Line or for better words a gel spun polyethylene with a coating. This is known to be stronger than steel at the same diameter. I am loaded with 50lb now and feel something a little bigger would be useful, feels like 0.28. No knots yet and is know to break at the exact weight class. Found that this will not swell but this could be unreliable info.

·
Registered
171 Posts
i used it for a couple days last fall...thought i was the only one with that idea...shoots like a mo fo...and i love zero stretch...only problem i had was it frayed real bad and easily when it got caught on some rocks...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Snake river is the best I have tried for a fly style line product. But this runner is the best! I am using 50lb and it wont knot up and shoots up to another 25 to 35 feet with no problem. I fished the Sky tonight down low around Lewis street searching for a fresh fish with a small squid pattern. Wouldn't you know the time I decide to grab a chew from my wader pocket, rod tucked under my arm POWWWW a monster grab. Well that one went down in history with a swing and a miss. Water was 61 degrees and the flow seemed good although still a little low. The Island above Lewis suffers from the remnants of all the kids tubing and ditching there beer cans. Sad that people see it as only a place of play and not a place of there future.

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Let me qualify what this stuff is (not mono) P-line Hydrafloat : It is a Spectra Line or for better words a gel spun polyethylene with a coating. This is known to be stronger than steel at the same diameter. I am loaded with 50lb now and feel something a little bigger would be useful, feels like 0.28. No knots yet and is know to break at the exact weight class. Found that this will not swell but this could be unreliable info.
Darned interesting idea Stewart. 'Normal' fly line backing comes in 20 or 30 pound test (all be it I've heard you can heavier ... but I've never seen it at 'retail'); the P-Line Hydrafloat is one of the 'lines of choice' for folks swinging a Center Pin set-up. Can't ever recall a comment where the C-P'ers have had a 'swelling issue' on their reels.

Fred

·
Steelhead-a-holic
950 Posts
I've used PLine Hydrofloat for the last year on one of my switch rods, with both scandi and skagit heads.

That stuff works great, with a nice texture for holding under the index finger during casting (less 'slick' than most flyline running lines), and as already mentioned shoots like a demon.

Plus if it frays, chop it off and retie!

Brian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For you guys looking for something new in the game---try this stuff! I think for 12 bucks at 150 yards and the extreme shoot-ability, no coiling or stretch it amazing. More distance is a plus for reaching those greasy lines on the other side of the seam.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have used Varivas floating mono running line behind my Skagit and Scandi heads for the last year with great results. I do not have any problems with kinks and it stays up on the surface. Casts like a dream.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I guess others disapprove of this line due to frayed line, coating breakdown and ceramic guide damage. I have used it for a week now with no problems but long term is questionable.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I guess other disapprove of this line due to frayed line, coating breakdown and ceramic guide damage. I have used it for a week now with no problems but long term is questionable.
i still have the rest of my spool and am going to try it again...the fraying is the only part that will stop me but ill see how it does this time around

·
Registered
3,184 Posts
Other folks, other places (Speypages) .... P-line for fly line backing? Consensus was don't go there; apparently even the guys who (also) use CP's have moved on.

Just passing this on as I posted (with screen credits) a similar question on SP's, and the answer was a resounding NO for fly line backing.
fae

·
Resident Swinger
1,773 Posts
Thinking of picking some of this up and giving it a try. One question: What kind of knot/loop do you use to connect this line to your skagit/scandi heads?? I use many heads on the particular reel I'm going to put this on, so a larger loop that makes it easy to change out heads would be ideal.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.