Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my Rio running line is on her last leg. Summer is around the corner and I have seen a full floating mono line from P-Line in the tackle section at just about any red neck tackle shop or super store. Anyone out there tried it? Seems like it would work, diameter is right, between limp and soft and the color is right. Just asking, Thanks.

·
Recreational User
1,665 Posts
I just switched to Stroft ABR .018" (38.5lb) for running lines a few months ago, and I am diggin' it. It has super-low memory, is fairly hard (fewer tangles), and doesn't sink fast enough to do the "maytag-swirly-tangle" in your backeddy when you are wading to your nipples.

The floating P-line might be a little on the soft side for use as a running line, but there is only one way to check it out...

Hard filament running lines for skagit heads are the absolute tits.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
guideline hollow floating, depending on what wt. line your using 25, 35, 50lb I use the 25lb on my lighter rods, takes a short bit to stretch out each time but is a great running line and casts like a mother....I like slick shooter too but it sinks and damned if when you switch heads it can get a coil in it that never comes out and screws up your casts after a bit..

·
Anywhere ~ Anytime
1,613 Posts
I just switched to Stroft ABR .018" (38.5lb) for running lines a few months ago, and I am diggin' it. It has super-low memory, is fairly hard (fewer tangles), and doesn't sink fast enough to do the "maytag-swirly-tangle" in your backeddy when you are wading to your nipples.
THAT is a fine line.. sounds good / needs tried. I've been getting looks fishing .024 and .027 Grinds me that most of the full lines have jumped the run line dia.. big time FAT. Guessing it was a move towards avoiding warr claims. Beulah Elixir the latest culprit. Replaced my old 6wt GPX last spring and the new one wouldn't fit the spool :mad: Off topic I know, touched a nerve.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I bought some in-expensive, level, 7wt f fly lines (pvc type with core) and I have been using them for running lines for my spey heads and they work great. I welded some loops on them using a heat gun and heat shrink to hold them in place during the process.
Arlington

·
You're only so smart as what you choose to share.
412 Posts
amnesia. red 30# test @ .021". havent really found the need for a floating line short of throwing line at the casting ponds. one stretch and its good for the day. one snag and its good for the week. cheap too. been playing around with the stroft fluor .020" as well, has some memory and doesnt stretch as much, not a bad product either.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I 2nd the guideline, has been great so far. I've also used miraclebraid, and slickshooter. Miracle braid is easier to hold onto but makes a little noise when shooting out, and doesn't fly as far. If you have sticky fingers and can hold onto the slickshooter, its a great mono running line that casts a mile.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The past few years I've been using 30 lb Suffix Siege mono in the tangerine color. Easy on the hands, doesn't require much stretching, doesn't kink, flies through the guides, easy to see. Inexpensive as its available at the local gear fishing store.

·
Calvin Fuller
533 Posts
I love the monic for cold water, however, it does have some durability issues, especially when it knots up. Seem that the coating will strip off if you jerk on it too hard. For a cheap line the Amnesia works well, for even cheaper Berkley Big Game 30# or 40# works just fine. 1760 yrd spool for $34...just need to give it a little stretch before use. I wish the monic wasn't so expensive and lasted longer. I really love the no stretch when the fish takes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
just looking for a good shooting line that i can use both compact skagit and scandi.........dont really like the mono shooting line only cuz i dont want to have to check the knot all the time and run the risk of loosing one of my shooting heads.

·
Registered
66 Posts
guidline 35lb for bigger sticks, 25lb for smaller rods

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.