Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When do you guys think the runoff will end in Idaho? I want to fish a new river (top secret, not even my wife). But I was warned about the runoff and read late June or even early July. But this is a low water year and one can only guess when it will be ready for flies. What's your guess? Anything appreciated.
Bob:thumb

·
Registered
777 Posts
Maybe call a fly shop in the area of your super secret new river, they should know when run off will end.

worldanglr
http://www.worldanglr.com/

Calling Fly Fishing a hobby is like calling Brain Surgery a job.
-Paul Schullery

·
Idaho Resident Craftsman/Artisan
1,110 Posts
Bob, give me a region and I will tell you. I will tap into my secret squirrel network of Idaho Locals (since I went to college out there) and come up with a date for you.

Personally I generally fish the Henry's Fork right about now. And the other more mountainous rivers (the ones with high water this time of year) around July ie: Bitch Creek, Fall River and the Teton etc...

Hey Bob, you coming to do the Dry Falls adventure with us on the 19th?

MAC

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
From the ones I have seen over the past few weeks, the waters are still high. It even snowed on us last weekend in Idaho. I dont think it will be much different than last years runoff was?? But thats just my opinions by being up in the mountains of Idaho during the winters playin around :dunno

~Patrick ><>

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
Mac is right.....need to know a general region. It all depends on the water shed. It has been a pretty crappy year for snowpack, but that doesnt mean it will blow everything out with some warm weather and Rain. I spent life in SE Idaho from 8th grade on, some rivers dont really go out at all, while others are high until june.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Somehow I feel I'm being pumped for more information on my secred spot. But I can say it is in NW Idaho because that's not much of a clue due to the numerous rivers in that location.
Sorry Mac, but I won't make it, I'll be in Oregon, hopefully up to my winnebagoes in fish.
Bob:+

·
Registered
2 Posts
Like many have said it will depend on the area. Currently the Clearwater area is flowing below normal. There are a number of rivers in NW Idaho most will empty into the Clearwater watershed. Since this is my first post I don't know if i can recommed places to check. Anyway there is a place in Lewiston Idaho that may help. There web page is www.traflyfish.com. Check it out or call them, they are pretty good.

DB

·
Registered
32 Posts
I grew up in Idaho and lived most of my life in various parts of the state.

This year, you can look for the small to medium waters in N. Id to clear up by June 10. The big waters will be a little later to come down, but should be getting clear by July 1. They haven't started to run off yet, and now is the perfect time to catch them while the freeze/thaw is still going. You only have a couple more weeks before they start to rock. Rob.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.