Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
8100XP
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got my Sage 699 in the mail. Was looking for a rod that handled all the type of fishing I do here in Northern California and Oregon. The 99 are built on the same blank as the ZAxis and the design and finish is really beautiful.

The over sized rod guides really do help in stack mending and feeding line when nymphing. This rod will handle three fly rigs with the largest thingamambobber with ease. Its simply a great rod for these setups. Even swinging heavy tips are nice with the way the moderate action is, a versitip line and type 6 with a moal leech is easy to cast with simple spey casts and a quick haul.

I imagine the rod will be great for sitting in a tube as well. I can't wait for trout opener on the Deschutes and then for June tossing big foam during the Stonefly hatch. Limited back casting room and tossing big dries.

I paired the 6 with the SA Sharkskin Magnum taper and also been using a RIO Nymph taper in 6. Both are great lines with the rod.

·
30 Posts
I've recently demo-ed a number of 6 weight flyrods and the 699 is at the top of my list. I like how the power comes from the mid to lower part of the rod. It feels like the best tool for tossing heavy streamers, split shot, and all the other attached crap that takes the "fly" out of flyfishing.

The one thing I don't like about the 699 is the fighting butt. I have a 6100XP with a fighting butt and my line is always looping around it.

·
Joe Streamer
4,156 Posts
It's may be the same graphite as Z-Axis, but the taper is different. My reaction in one test casting session was that it is built on a semi-parabolic taper. This means it has a bit of flex built into the butt of the rod. The effect for most casters would be to open your loop up and keep your bobber rig from tangling on itself. It definitely had that effect for me. Great roll caster too.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Hoping they have a few to test at the Monroe event this year. As Lugan mentioned above...it was engineered to have a deeper flex action, meant for open loop casting. What is the weight on your 699 rod? Sage has gone with a different reel seat for this rod and their TCX series, I believe it is smaller diameter and lighter, and also silver in color compared to the traditional black they have used. I'm glad to hear they went with oversized guides....I always wished my 6 weight sage rods had two stripper guides...16 and a 12. Thanks for sharing.

60 Posts
Lugan is right on with this rod. The 99's have a softer butt and stiffer tip to open up loops to avoid tangling and hitting yourself in the head with split shot and such. They roll cast extremely well including single hand spey casts with nymph rigs. They are cannons off the beach too and will throw tighter loops for distance with an Outbound or 40+ line.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Glad someone liked them.

The new Beulah 9'9" 7wt is a better-casting, more versatile rod, though.

Whole lot cheaper, too.
Yeah, good for you. Like many have always suggested and it is dead on every time, try to test out different rods. (I know it is not always feasible) The Beulah is treasure for some and trash for others. The 99 will be the golden ticket for some and for others it will be just another rod. That is why we have some great adds in the classifieds on this site...especially yellowlab...the gearfreakindevilsponncasterweddingringtrollerroundwormbaitcaster.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.