Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a sage 9wt years ago from a buddy when I bought a bundle of stuff. I’m a novice when it comes to fly fishing. Is a 9wt really needed for anything in Washington state? I have an 8wt echo as well. So I’m not sure if I’m just taking up space with it. My thought was setting it up with OPST commando and use it to try and go after winter steelhead or. Salmon. However since I already have an 8wt am I just spinning my wheels? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I had a 10' > 9wt. for years and finally sold it to a Pro-Musky angler, I found that my 10' > 8wt. was plenty for my winter S/H flyfishing needs.
I do fish 9' > 10 wts. for some large Salmon species in the salt.

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
I bought a sage 9wt years ago from a buddy when I bought a bundle of stuff. I’m a novice when it comes to fly fishing. Is a 9wt really needed for anything in Washington state? I have an 8wt echo as well. So I’m not sure if I’m just taking up space with it. My thought was setting it up with OPST commando and use it to try and go after winter steelhead or. Salmon. However since I already have an 8wt am I just spinning my wheels? Thanks for any advice.
Much of it depends on the model 9 weight. Some stout 8 weight models may be similar to moderate action 9 weight rods. A 9 weight is handy when fishing/catching chums in rivers and can be a handy all around inshore rod when fishing saltwater out in areas like Neah Bay or the WA or OR salt shoreline or on the outskirts of, say, Vancouver Island.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Older post but will respond anyway.

A 9 weight is very usefull for: Windy days, bigger flies, bigger fish. A 9 can be an ideal light King Salmon rod or for rock fish and heavy deep dredging' Weighted flies and big popper over size 2/0 are where the 9 weight will out do an eight significantly. Good in surf too. Most nines seem like a significant step up from an 8. They are a bigger step than from a 7 to an eight. They are less tiring than 10 and above weights.

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you are fishing from the beach a 9 or 10 weight can be essential to fighting the wind more than the fish. I fish a 10 wt most of the time even though it’s rare I would come across a fish that would actually require one to land it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts