Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
23 Posts
I broke my xp 8 weight 7 times since december while bringing in steelies on the peninsula. All incidents were manufacture defects with the 4 piece blank. Sage has admitted this and yet they still send me the same rod with the broken piece fixed. Sage doesn't understand that when your rod snaps midway at the ferrule the rest of the pole drops on the rocks causing dings in the blank that will blow up on your next steelhead, even when its returned to you from the factory.

Yes they cast like a dream, but are they sacrificing strength for performance? I think so. A ton of fishing trips to AK and the peninsula last year have been a serious disappointment. There's nothing like driving 4 hours to fish and your rod shattering on the first hook up. Every time I paid for shipping, and then was billed for $20.00 by sage. Most of the time they immediately ship me a back up rod while mine is being fixed. The only problem, its a nine or seven weight.

After 7 incidents they still won't give me a brand new rod.
I think the xp series is the most unreliable rod ever made. I'm afraid to fish with it in fear that I might hook a chromer.

No kudos from me! I've got more faith in my eight weight 70's vintage fiberglass fenwick. :REALLYMAD

· Registered
23 Posts
You obviously don't break alot of rods. which means you don't fish alot or catch alot. Or when you break one your not to far from home. Must be nice. It also must be nice to have such knowledgable friends. I'm sure thats my problem, the car door. It eats me everytime I try to get out of the car. I think I'm going to spend the rest of today writing appology notes to sage. If only I new after all these years that graphite rods don't break, they get broken.

And yes sage is trying hard to correct the problem and honor the warranty.

Take for instance, the fly rod broke on the last section of the butt end right below the ferrule, "very difficult to break". So I sent the rod back and they returned to me the same rod with a new butt end. Eager to cast this rod, I assembled it and took it right out into the back yard and made a cast. On the 3rd cast I hooked about an 8# spawned out sockeye and that dam rod broke in the exact same place. I wish I could blaim it on a car door.

:CONFUSED

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.