Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
This work thing keeps getting in the way
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into a strictly trout nymphing setup and would like to hear feed back on anyone who owns or has owned this rod. Is it worth going specialized, reviews also say its a pretty good dry fly rods as well.

Thanks in advance

·
Lue Taylor/dbfly
2,550 Posts
I built a 2wt ESN 10ft I fish this rod a lot have caught some large fish on it, cast great it's a medium action rod I imagine that 4wt would only be a little stiffer than the 2wt. I would find your favor shop that has one try it out before buy

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Going to look in the next few days but wiggle test cant really compare to fishing it. Dont know anyone with that rod to try.
Will be moving back to Coloado next year and nymph 95% of the time, wouldnt mind trying the Czech style of fishing and or get away from the indicator. The water I typically fish hold trout on avg of 12-24" some larger pushing the 4-7# range

·
Premium Member
7,341 Posts
I'm not sure how you could miss with that rod. Several of us bought identical 10' rods about this time last year but payed about $400 less for them than the Esn. We have used them for chironomids and nymphing as well as dry fly fishing on Idaho streams. They have exceeded all of our expectations in terms of quality, finish and performance. I have easily managed trout of 7# or more and landed many fish in the 19-24" range. The extra length has been a real plus for nymph fishing.

If that Sage rod is $400 better it has to be a helluva rod.

Ive

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Thanks for confirming the versatiliaty that's what I'm looking for. Only reason would go with the sage is now they r $500 like the One being discontinued. I would never pay full price and tend to purchase when rods I like go on sale

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have a 10' 4wt Clearwater that I absolutely love for nymphing. Mostly with an indicator but have used it a little for tight line. It's not my favorite for fishing dries but if they start rising it is more than adequate.

I have an 11' 3wt hydrogen that's is made for euro nymphing. It's a bit top heavy even with an oversized reel on it. I haven't put in the time with it yet to decide how I feel about it.

·
Registered
532 Posts
I run a 10'3# shadow II and my 9'4# echo carbon.

Reasons why.

Shadow is purely designed for nymphing. I have used it for dries and streamers (tosses really well) and is excellent for nymphing with a nice tip but strong backbone. great for large water nymphing.

The 9'4wt however is better for smaller water. casting is a hell of a lot easier. disadvantage is you lose sensitivity compared to the shadow but gain in use ability. there is no limit really with the 9'4wt except on bigger water that lack of reach sucks.

·
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have the 10'6 3wt shadow PE and it's a phenomenal nymph rod and balances perfectly with a older phluger trion 6.2 oz? I hear both the rods you mentioned are just a little more universal in a 10' for dry dropper/dry uses.
What line are you running euro nymph or a more of a traditional I was thinking maybe rio trout lt

·
Registered
375 Posts
24ft mono with a shitty 5wt line that seldom sees water?(mainly because I had it around). 30-20-12-3x or something like that. I rotate between orange Dacron, bi-color mono and French Slinky indicators depending on conditions. The few times I have thrown drys I switched to a standard 10ft leader. It worked ok, but casting over 30ft or so was a chore...I've never tried dedicated nymph lines so I'm a poor resource on that front.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I run a 10'3# shadow II and my 9'4# echo carbon.

Reasons why.

Shadow is purely designed for nymphing. I have used it for dries and streamers (tosses really well) and is excellent for nymphing with a nice tip but strong backbone. great for large water nymphing.

The 9'4wt however is better for smaller water. casting is a hell of a lot easier. disadvantage is you lose sensitivity compared to the shadow but gain in use ability. there is no limit really with the 9'4wt except on bigger water that lack of reach sucks.
Absolutely agree on the nice tip and strong backbone. 3wt tip, 4wt mid and 5wt butt? Interesting and progressive flex.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.