Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , I own a Sage Graphite III GFL 790 3.2 ounce 2 piece rod and would like some feedback on what this rod is worth about these days. I purchased the rod nearly 20 years ago and the performance is just like the day I bought it and yes its in excellent condition. I got it with the original Sage sock but the tube is of a standard aluminum tube. The store I purchased it from didnt have any in stock so I took a generic brand. Thats not where the value is anyways , a tube is a tube as they say. I have been told this rod is becoming rare and the value just gets highe. I have been doing some searching on Ebay etc for a while now and havent come across one of these rods. I may consider selling depending on what its worth today. I run a home based woodworking business and just havent the time to get back into the fly fishing like I use to be able to, but if I could this rod would go everywhere I go. :thumb:

Look forward to seeing your feedback.

regards,

Terry

·
Registered
6,702 Posts
Hi , I own a Sage Graphite III GFL 790 3.2 ounce 2 piece rod and would like some feedback on what this rod is worth about these days. I purchased the rod nearly 20 years ago and the performance is just like the day I bought it and yes its in excellent condition. I got it with the original Sage sock but the tube is of a standard aluminum tube. The store I purchased it from didnt have any in stock so I took a generic brand. Thats not where the value is anyways , a tube is a tube as they say. I have been told this rod is becoming rare and the value just gets highe. I have been doing some searching on Ebay etc for a while now and havent come across one of these rods. I may consider selling depending on what its worth today. I run a home based woodworking business and just havent the time to get back into the fly fishing like I use to be able to, but if I could this rod would go everywhere I go. :thumb:

Look forward to seeing your feedback.

regards,

Terry
The GFL Graphite III was the RPL. The RPL was phased out, then brought back, then changed to the VPS.

There's a mint VPS 790 for sale right now in the classifieds for $200, and there are no takers (yet).

·
Hood Canal Pirate
517 Posts
I just have to say, as someone that has never owned a sage rod, they sure make it confusing as hell to figure out what rod is which. Always bringing in new models and phasing out this and that :thumb:

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I'm not sure where or how you're searching, but GFLs and RPLs are all over ebay. They seem to be going for between $150 and $250.

Don't look for much appreciation in the value of an older graphite rod. I suppose there are some collectors out there and folks who truely like the feel of an older rod. But in general, rod designing has become very technical and advances in materials and tapers have made rods lighter, faster and stronger. While a 20-year-old GFL is still a very nice rod, its value is in its ability to cast a fly line, not about the fact that it's rare.

Sage rods are known for their design, quality and warranty and as such any Sage rod will always have some value. But a GFL doesn't have any special value outside its ability to cast a fly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all of your input people. I do agree with the value being in the ability to make a decent cast as well as how strong its built rather then it becoming rare. My rod casts and as far as I am concerned built as good as any rod I have seen in todays rods. I have casted some of the new Sages and all in all they dont do any more if not less then what my rod can do for performance. I fellow from Ontario Canada is one of the Captains from the fly fishing Canada teams and we had a discussion about my rod over the phone..He is quite knowledgeable with rods etc and says my rod is worth at least $400.00 and thats not because of its age but how its built and the performance factor. To this day the rod looks and performs like the day I bought it. $150 - $250 range rods perhaps are the Graphite II's I have seen lots out there for around that range. I did look on Ebay extensively at the GFL models even into the UK Ebay listings and there are none thats the same as mine out there but if any of you's are browsing around and come across a Graphite III GFL 790 please pass on the link please I would be very curious to see if its the same as mine and at what price it is.

~Cheers~

·
Registered
11,229 Posts
I have never seen a factory RPL go for more than 360.00, and that was pristine new 4 piece. GFL is not a model, it stands for graphite fly rod. You have a RPL, Reserve Power Light. I don't think any one was mistaken between the graphite II and III reference. Graphite II rods generally go for 100.00 less than the RPL's.

·
Language, its a virus
1,566 Posts
Porter is right about the pricing of RPL's. Since it is my favorite rod I'm
always on the lookout for these..... I think it is the best all around
stick for NW fishing, fresh or salt.
David

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Run this search. It will pull up recently completed auctions for GFLs and RPLs. You'll get a few DS and LL models in the mix, but several G-III RPLs as well. Most went for right around $200. There was a sweet looking 8wt RPL+ that went for $238.50. If I'd been in the market for a 2pc 8wt, I might have put down a bid for that rod.

I think you have to have an ebay account and be logged in to run a search on completed items.

You're not going to find a whole lot of used seven weight rods for comparison because there are relatively few of those sold in general. There is probably less demand for a 7wt than any other freshwater rod. It's kind of a 'tweener' rod -- a little too big for trout and a little too small for steelhead. But, because they're hard to find, you might find a buyer or two who has exactly this rod in mind for a particular piece of water and would be willing to pay a premium.

I think very early Sages were branded only with the GFL model, but I don't think they were G-III graphite. Here's an auction for one of those that sold for 142.50. Sage Fly Rod GFL 6 weight 2pc. Collectors condition.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You may want to look on the east coast for buyers. This rod is great for smallmouth bass in the 3-4 pound range. I've been using mine since the mid 90s and it's my go to. I've even had some great days with bonefish in the Bahamas with it. It may be a PNW "Tweener," bit it's an east coast essential!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts