Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Yakbowbw
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a fall at the end of the summer and my RPL 3wt wound up under my foot. I have used this rod for over 12 years and lovingly called it my baby. I took the broken pieces to Bainbridge Island where the people at Sage found a new blank and made good on their warenty at no cost to me. Love this company!

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Broke a 490 LL in half that I had custom built in '97, sent it in last year, they gave me a new blank.

Sage has the ability to be the "stand alone top" rod manufacturers, if they would only stick with a model of rod for more than 90 seconds.

That LL (and other models) are some of the greatest of all time, but the "marketing machine" feels the need to come out with a "new and improved" version every year it seems.

Case and point: 'The One's

Anyway, at least their customer service is stellar!

:)

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
I agree with you on the customer service. I guess that the reason for so many models of rods is that if you stand still in the rod manufacturing bizness, you go down the tube.

They make some fine casting machines.

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
I agree with you on the customer service. I guess that the reason for so many models of rods is that if you stand still in the rod manufacturing bizness, you go down the tube.

They make some fine casting machines.
Sure, but standing still and designing the next rod before a model even makes it to the shelf, are two different things. I realize that's grossly exaggerated, but it seems almost what they do.

They never give a rod a chance to become a "classic" anymore.

Take Winston for instance. Winston made a few excellent rods, the biix for example, and they continued it for years. It was (and still to this day) one of the greatest money makers they had. The iix is an icon in the upper tier of fly rods.

I think Sage could (arguably) bring back the RPL and LL (without renaming it) and it would sell like like crazy. Imagine all the "buzz" around the fly fishing world if they did something like that.

I think the sport of fly fishing has hit that proverbial point, where "old can be new again".

Golf, tennis, basketball, jeans, hats, bikes, etc have all done similar with great success. Doesn't mean you throw out the new stuff completely, just "troll" with some 'Old School' stuff.

However, I usually don't make sense...so there's always that.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I bought my first one in the late Seventies. Probably had it less than a month and a buddy slammed it with the back hatch on my car. I took it back to the shop I had purchased it from, Fir and Feathers. The owner called Sage. They said "Send him over on the ferry." Someone picked me up, took me to the factory, gave me tour, and sent me on my way with a whole new rod. I went home very happy and have stayed a customer ever since.
I'm still very satisfied.

Sent from my SGH-M919N using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
While you make some very valid points, Generic, I do not think I will not try to second guess the marketing folks at Sage. They seem to be doing alright on their own.
Some things I do know, is 1) They make some great rods.
2) They are good people to work with and friendly and helpful.
That is a big plus in this electronic world we live in.
3) Their guarantee is iron clad.
What more could a guy want?

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Sage has tried it twice that I recall. They reintroduced both the XP and LL in popular sizes with limited runs.......it did not do well.
Yah, but they didn't label them the same. They tried to "market" them as the same, but they gave them different names. People either see right through that kind of gimmicky spin, or don't trust it. Either way, the results are the same, low sales.

They didn't actually market it as an original LL (and the other was an RPL actually I think -?).

Who knows, and an who cares really, right? It's never going to happen.

I'm going to watch some football with my LL. Nothing weird about that, is there?

:p

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Yah, but they didn't label them the same. They tried to "market" them as the same, but they gave them different names. People either see right through that kind of gimmicky spin, or don't trust it. Either way, the results are the same, low sales.

They didn't actually market it as an original LL (and the other was an RPL actually I think -?).

I'm going to watch some football with my LL. Nothing weird about that, is there?

I certainly hope not, or else I might be in deep trouble. I also have my trust reel handy.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I wish I could say the same - earlier this summer I sent in my TCX that I snapped / splintered while casting for Bass. The quality of repair was crap and didn't even look like the same Rod I sent in. The rod I sent was in like new condition and only fished 2 or 3 times since I bought it new several years ago. The rod I received had all kinds of scratches around the section that was repaired.

·
Registered
11,255 Posts

No not true, no gimmick, and not exactly sure what you are referring to ....... Sage has never done that that I'm aware of.

It was the original XP (and labeled XP) made with Graphite IIIe. You can still buy certain models from AnglersPro because they have not sold them (all) yet. Sage made them a few years after the Z-Axis had been out, some simply didnt like the Z-Axis. I was hoping they remake the 896 and 697 but they only made certain rods with most being nine footers.

Sage reintroduced the 389 LL made with Graphite III in a limited run of 500. ( I want to say around 2005-6) It was built with original taper and color and hardware. They did not do well either. I know because I bought one #437/500 at 40% off. Store was not selling them and discounted them after a long vacation sitting in the store rack.

Rumor was if LL had done well Sage was toying with idea of limited runs of the past, next would have been the SP.

·
Dumbfounded
10,887 Posts
You guys up there have a HUGE advantage when it comes to dealing with Far Bank products (Sage, Rio, Redington). When you walk in the door of the place it's much easier for them to simply hand you a different product then dealing with all the shipping hassle.

It's also much more difficult to tell a customer no way when they're standing there... :)

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
No not true, no gimmick, and not exactly sure what you are referring to ....... Sage has never done that that I'm aware of.

It was the original XP (and labeled XP) made with Graphite IIIe. You can still buy certain models from AnglersPro because they have not sold them (all) yet. Sage made them a few years after the Z-Axis had been out, some simply didnt like the Z-Axis. I was hoping they remake the 896 and 697 but they only made certain rods with most being nine footers.

Sage reintroduced the 389 LL made with Graphite III in a limited run of 500. ( I want to say around 2005-6) It was built with original taper and color and hardware. They did not do well either. I know because I bought one #437/500 at 40% off. Store was not selling them and discounted them after a long vacation sitting in the store rack.

Rumor was if LL had done well Sage was toying with idea of limited runs of the past, next would have been the SP.
That's what it was - same taper, gen III graphite.

Thanks for clarifying.

Still, why not just leave "Well enough alone"? If people loved it, why change?

It's like everything else, "It's just like the "________", only better!".

Gotta love the marketing machine.

I use to race road bikes (10 speeds), and every year Shimano would come out with a new line of gear clusters, brakes, detailers, etc. Campy (Campagnolo) would stick with their best lines. Needless to say, most serious racers stuck with Campy. Our mechanics didn't have to "learn" a new product line, for time sensitive repairs.

The difference was, Campy didn't care about shear volume of sales, where Shimano was trying to "break into" the market at the time.

I just wonder if (in a weird way) Sage is, or does, have an identity crisis at tines. Do they want to be one of the iconic fly fishing manufacturers? Or is the market so saturated with cheaper rods, that they feel the need to constantly change their product line of rods?

Realize, I don't care either way really, and I'm sure they're happy where they are at. And as long as they have one of the best customer services around (if not the best), most of us are good with it. :)

·
Justified
4,940 Posts
Yes sage is good.... so are several other rod mfg'ers. I would not hesitate to buy from Scott either. Many good rod building companies out there. So many good choices!
Yah, Scott is one of those "underrated" rod companies for sure. They don't make a ton of great rods (models), but the ones that are good, are definitely at the very top.

·
Banned
1,626 Posts
Took a fall at the end of the summer and my RPL 3wt wound up under my foot. I have used this rod for over 12 years and lovingly called it my baby. I took the broken pieces to Bainbridge Island where the people at Sage found a new blank and made good on their warenty at no cost to me. Love this company!
I have a bunch of Sage rods that I cherish. Especially the RPLs! Correct me if I am wrong but it seems like years ago Sage returned rod section much closer to "no charge". Just last week I received a butt section for a 796 RPL. Total cost $69 including my shipping cost to Sage.

Are you saying Sage charged you nothing because you hand delivered the damaged rod section?

In comparison, I sent a damaged rod section to Grays. They sent me a factory built replacement with guides installed for the price of shipping.

Grays rods are not Sage RPLs but $69 is not free.

Reactions: Tinker

·
Yakbowbw
650 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I hand delivered the rod, and picked it up after the repair. No charge, except my own travel expenses

Reactions: generic

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
I've had two repairs. The first was sent in and returned to a shop and I picked it up there. The cost was $25. That was about ten years ago. Then in 2012, I took a rod over to Bainbridge Island and dropped it off. I got it back eleven days later, in the mail, at no charge. And while I was there, I got a tour of the factory. Pretty cheap at twice the price, IMHO.:)

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.