Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK...I've seen a number of posts about the LL recently, and I've got one of my own.

I have a Graphite II 490 LL...Almost every post about the series or every rod in the series I find for sale is a Graphite III. My GII has hardly ever been used, which means, obviously, I haven't cast it much. But I've never cast a GIII...

So, my question(s), for anyone who might know, which one is better? Or, what is the difference between the two (besides the graphite)?

Lastly, does anyone know why the GIII is so prevalent on the secondary market over the GII? My only guesses are number made or breakability or people refuse to part with them.

·
Director of Stoke
1,687 Posts
I'm assuming because the Gii is older, there are less of them remaining. Also Sage got a lot bigger in the 90s when they started using GIII, so probably more were made with it.
As I recall the LL series was introduced around 1986. I think the GIII LL's came out in '91 or '92. They may have made the GII for more years than the GIII, but like you said the growth of Sage and the industry in general probably means more GIII's were built.

I have Sage catalogs going back to '87. I should give them a look...

·
born to work, forced to fish
5,278 Posts
The graphite 2 has a smoother, slower action than the graphite 3. If you break your rod and send it in for repair you get a graphite 3 back as a replacement.

My guess as to the reason for mostly graphite 3's on the market. More graphite 3's were made is what I think is the reason.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.