Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started fishing Sage in the 90's with the LL and occasionally picked up an XP (my 590 is still my goto rod), VXP, SLT etc.. and really wasn't a fan when they switched the action over to Konnetic.

I've read the reviews and heard some hype about the R8. Has anyone out there casted the R8 590?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I commented on Red's on the water review and this is what Joe noted about the R8 compared to the X (both 590s):

"Lighter, softer initial load, quick recovery with a very sneaky rebound. Much of the time you need to reign it in because you'll think you are casting really easy (due to the feel) and this rod will flat out send it. Wonderful rod, full stars on this one."

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Mitten_Man, I'm meeting up with a buddy this morning to give it a swing and I'll report back.

I will preface my review with the fact that I fished my Sage 586 LL for almost 20 years as my only trout rod and it's the foundation of what I think a rod should do. Therefore i this rod can deliver a deep smooth bend with power and presentation, I'm going to need to sell a few rods that fell short for me and invest.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thank you Mitten_Man, I'm meeting up with a buddy this morning to give it a swing and I'll report back.

I will preface my review with the fact that I fished my Sage 586 LL for almost 20 years as my only trout rod and it's the foundation of what I think a rod should do. Therefore i this rod can deliver a deep smooth bend with power and presentation, I'm going to need to sell a few rods that fell short for me and invest.
Would love it if Sage brought back those old models.

·
Registered
6,812 Posts
I started fishing Sage in the 90's with the LL and occasionally picked up an XP (my 590 is still my goto rod), VXP, SLT etc.. and really wasn't a fan when they switched the action over to Konnetic.

I've read the reviews and heard some hype about the R8. Has anyone out there casted the R8 590?
Huge difference between that LL and the XP...I've owned both the 586LL and the 590-4XP.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've heard the R8 is a lot slower then the One and X . Every review video says it's not as fast .I'm gonna go cast a 7wt and try to compare it to my 7wt Sage one
I've heard the R8 is a lot slower then the One and X . Every review video says it's not as fast .I'm gonna go cast a 7wt and try to compare it to my 7wt Sage one .
My original post got a little chopped up, not sure what happened there. What I was trying to say is that I enjoy the older Sage rods (LL, XP, etc..) and that the konnetic rods weren't for me.
I'd agree that this rods is not faster than the konnetic rods.
What I like about this rod is I think it casts more like the older sage rods, but with effortless, smooth power.
I casted a 590, I'd love to hear how the 7 throws.

·
deny self.
160 Posts
I’ve casted the 3-9wts a bunch. Such a different rod from rods in years past. I think the biggest advantage is the swing weight and dry fly presentation it offers. 3,4,5 & 690 are nice dreamy dry fly like rods but I think overall the X was a better rod. Something about the R8 just doesn’t quite feel like as much of a home run as the X. The 7 & 8 just don’t feel like they could be a bonefish rod or even a bass rod but then again that may be due to how light and airy it feels. Looks like every sage lover will need to hop on the new rod train anyways to avoid the crazy new repair policy….

·
Registered
37 Posts
I've casted the 3-9wts a bunch. Such a different rod from rods in years past. I think the biggest advantage is the swing weight and dry fly presentation it offers. 3,4,5 & 690 are nice dreamy dry fly like rods but I think overall the X was a better rod. Something about the R8 just doesn't quite feel like as much of a home run as the X. The 7 & 8 just don't feel like they could be a bonefish rod or even a bass rod but then again that may be due to how light and airy it feels. Looks like every sage lover will need to hop on the new rod train anyways to avoid the crazy new repair policy….
Yea, that new repair policy is wild. The intent is obvious and not suprising...

·
Registered
198 Posts
My original post got a little chopped up, not sure what happened there. What I was trying to say is that I enjoy the older Sage rods (LL, XP, etc..) and that the konnetic rods weren't for me.
I'd agree that this rods is not faster than the konnetic rods.
What I like about this rod is I think it casts more like the older sage rods, but with effortless, smooth power.
I casted a 590, I'd love to hear how the 7 throws.
I just picked up the 7wt R8 and it's awesome . Very powerful rod with great feel . I love the old rods as well . I have a practically new 9'5wt Sage z axis haha. I did cast a 5wt R8 today and it reminds me of a zenith but lighter in the hand .

·
Registered
276 Posts
It’s just sad. It’s like they want Sage owners to move on to a different brand. I guess it’s time to baby the rods even more.
I wonder how hard it would be to just make the old rods again instead of "upgrading" just use the older graphite? It would shoot the resale for some of the older rods but I know there are some older Sage rods I would buy in an instant. I have a 691X which is awesome and will do everything, but I find that I tend toward my older Sage rods when I go fishing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've only taken my R8 590-4 out once, but it is a completely different rod than my Sage X 590-4. Action is moderate/fast compared to the X. I feel like I have more control but less power. I can still hit any/all of my usual trout casting distances though. Looking forward to getting to know the rod even more this summer.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts