Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to buy my son a fly rod, I have decided on a Sage 6wt. My question is what rod to get without breaking the bank. You cant go wrong with Sage. the question is out of these three what would be your choice and why? Launch , Vantage or the Flight

Thank
Rick

·
Hot Carl
8,805 Posts
Hard to tell without knowing his age, experience level, what he's fishing for and where, etc. I think it's hard to go wrong with any rod company out there. Personally, I'd go with something like an Echo if I wanted quality without breaking the bank.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My son is 32 and has been fly fishin for three years now. The rod I am looking to get him will be replacing a Lamiglass IM6 6wt rod. He has a 4wt T&T, the 6wt will be for the bigger stuff.

·
"Ride'n Dirty."
1,631 Posts
You yourself sound pretty experienced, I'm surprised you need help? I'm just saying......

·
No longer here
4,034 Posts
I have the Launch- it's my backup 4wt and my son's go to rod. Nice feel to it.
The Vantage replaced the Launch, and reviews I've seen made it sound pretty impressive. The Flight replaced the Fli, but I haven't heard much about it. Different actions for different strokes for different folks. Best advice is to find a shop that has them and let your son test drive.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I have not l kept up on any of the new models. I know this forum has a wealth of knowledge to draw from at times. The rod is a surprise or I would have him take a trip to his local fly shop and try some out. Besides this way I can keep the business with our local fly shops! Its always good to hear others opinions!
Thanks

·
fly fisher
1,023 Posts
Sage Flight is a great rod series, but after field testing and reviewing a slew of 5-wt rods this spring/summer, I have to recommend the Redington CT (Classic Trout) series. In pure performance -- casting ability, casting accuracy, casting power -- the Redington CT, at $160 for most rods in the series (http://bit.ly/d0wrXA) out performed the Sage VT2 ($475 for the 9' 5wt) and was nearly on par with the Orvis Hydros ($495 for 9' 5 wt). Our final results: If you can afford it, go straight for the Sage Z-axis. If cash is a concern, go for the Redington CT series. Note that testers included two Washington Dept of Fish and Wildlife officers (one retired) and a couple professional guides (both unaffiliated with any rod company).

That said, the Sage Flight series is also an outstanding series -- I have two in my personal quiver. (FULL DISCLOSURE: I also have a Sage Z-axis rod, an older Orvis Trident, an Orvis Power Matrix rod, an old Orvis Rocky Mtn pack rod, and a couple St. Croix rods)

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
The Sage Vantage is a great rod for the money.

I have a 5wt 9ft Vantage and a 5wt 9ft Z-axis. I routinely use the Vantage over the Z-axis especially for dry fly presentations. Of course, the same old advice applies here too. Go cast a couple of them. But, I guarantee the Vantage is a great great rod. I love mine.

·
NEVER wonder what to do with your free time
984 Posts
Guess I'll weigh in with my two cents. I have a VT-2 for an 8 weight. It was kind of a bear for me to figure out the casting action. Not beating my own drum too hard, but I know how to cast. It's a good rod, and I can pop out eighty footers now and then, but I wouldn't give it to a beginner. I have several Sage rods and like them all, but I'd put the VT-2 on the bottom of the list for customer satisfaction. Wish I had more experience with the rods you're looking at, but this might be worth something to you.

·
"Ride'n Dirty."
1,631 Posts
This is the second or third time i've heard of the VT2's on closeout, would anyone know where, the retailers seem to think they are still made of gold!

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Porter, where?
cabelas, avid angler, there are others. need to make room for the vxp's.

from another site

New Spey and Switch Rods from Sage
Sage has just announced that they are introducing new TCX switch rods and VXP spey rods this fall. The TCX switches are going to be offered in 5-8 weight and are all 11'9" in length. They will be very well suited as longer switch rods or as I just like to say, SHORT SPEY RODS. From what I hear these rods are very smooth with a lot of power in reserve. They are going to make great rods for shorter skagit and scandi heads.

Sage is also going to be replacing the popular VT2 series speys with the new VXP spey rods. They will be offered in a 12'9" 6 weight and 13'3" 7 weight. This new series will be at a similar price point to the VT2 rods but with a redesigned blank and better components. If they are anything like the VT2's they will pretty much cast themselves! Both new VXP models will be great rods for steelhead fishing throughout the Pacific Northwest. Really looking forward to putting some time into the 6129!

Looking forward to playing with some of these new toys this fall on the lower Trinity and Klamath rivers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.