Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11,255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a 6-weight 4-piece. Was looking at the redington wayfarer for 195.00 (5 piece) it casted nicely and had a decent med-fast action. But then I picked up a VPS at the local Fly Shop (didn't cast test....yet!!!!) But man did it feel good in the hand. Anyone have experience with SAGE mid-tier Rod. Have test casted the XP and it was awesome but my $$$$ is lacking. $400.00 Tops and I will not buy a rod I can't see or test first. (BK rod's interest me but I don't know where local that carries this Oregon product.) St. Croix Legend Ultra is also in my picture? But when I picked up that VPS I was saying ...lotta of love here/ HELP?

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
I was shopping for a new 8wt earlier this year. I cast a VPS, St. Croix LU, and Winston IBIS side-by-side. I walked out with the Winston. I wanted a rocket launcher for heavy sink tips. The VPS is quite a bit slower in comparison but is perfect for a med/fast rod. The Winston is also $100 less. Definitely cast before you buy.

My .02
Rod

·
Registered
285 Posts
I bucked up and ordered a 6# 9'6" XP today actually, now the waiting game to get it in the mail, won't be here for Saturdays adventure . While I haven't personally cast the VPS a sage rep that I talked to was telling me that they are great rods for the money. I have had nothing but good experiences with sages warantees and customer service. Take it for what it's worth.:beer2

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
The newer Sage VPS replaces the older and previously discontinued RPL, with an upgrade to the hardware. I love mine in 7 weight and used it a lot in the past few years.Very good value for the money. I would say that the Sage XP rods are a lot faster, higher performance rod.

·
Another Flyfisherman
749 Posts
I dont think you can go wrong with Sage. They are spendy, and the way I look at it - its worth every penny. I own 3 sages: 9ft 8wt RPLXi; 9ft 5wt SP; and just last night ordered a DS2 8ft 3wt.

I am now torn between these rain shadow blanks. I want a 10 footer 8wt or 7wt for next years winter run. Cant decide if I want to stray from my Sage roots and try something else or just spring for the great price tag on a rain shadow and have it built. :hmmm

Cant go wrong with sage though......as long as you like what you are casting and the action fits You - it really doesnt matter what you get. You are the guy that has to fish it.

·
Slainte
6,656 Posts
SAGE - VPS or Rainshadow

If you're looking for a rod under $400 it's hard to beat a handcrafted Rainshadow. You could probably include the new Forecast Blue Zirconia guides and a nickle silver reel seat. The RX8 blanks are light and fast.

Roper,

Good things come to those who wade...

·
Formerly tbc1415
3,179 Posts
There is a sage 7100SP on ebay now. It has about two days left. The bid is around $400.00 now so it is out of the great deal range.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3603938995&category=23819

In the past month or two there have been two other 7100's that went for considerably less.
They do not come up often but now is the best time of year for rods on ebay.
I got one last fall for $265.00 I could not be happier with it. This is my idea of the ideal dry line summer stealhead rod.

There is also this 796SP blank.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3604382096&category=23819

G

·
What were the hardware upgrades? My understanding is that the VPS IS the old RPL (shhhhh), but with the friggin' green wraps (on brown). At any rate, they are fast, especially to a DS guy :smokin

G

·
And a DS isn't the old RP sans finish... Sage had just started replacing their entire line-up of RPL's with RPL+'s at the time, much to the consternation of many who fell in love with the RPL (wasn't really broke). Sage had backstock of blanks, repleat with reduplicative mandrels to cover warranty anyways... Do you really think they'd scrap all that and approximate the RPL, when they had all the RPL pieces already? No, they re-introduced the most popular models under a new name (VPS) with slightly different cosmetics and a less expensive cordura covered, lined tube (like the one for the DS's). They were committed to pushing the performance envelope with new lines replacing old ones, but conceded that these old ones could still generate revenue. The RPL and LL series are proliferated massively into the marketplace. And for good reason. Sage was smart to keep them around, at a moderate price versus all the newer goods, no less. That's my $.02 worth. Is a VPS really and RPL? I think that's a question every angler will have to ask their self at some point in their angling career, and I just wanted to be sure they have more than one "truth" to choose from.
:smokin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.