Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone own a Sage VXP rod? How are they? I know Sage has developed a good number of different rods since that one came out. Looking back into the archives here, I noticed a lot of love for the old RPL but am having trouble finding much mention about the VXP.

I'm asking because I noticed Cabela's has a sale on them. I've been wanting to upgrade from my old Temple Fork 6wt to something more responsive. Is the fact that the VXPs are on sale an indicator of something bad?

--Dave

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Anyone own a Sage VXP rod? How are they? I know Sage has developed a good number of different rods since that one came out. Looking back into the archives here, I noticed a lot of love for the old RPL but am having trouble finding much mention about the VXP.

I'm asking because I noticed Cabela's has a sale on them. I've been wanting to upgrade from my old Temple Fork 6wt to something more responsive. Is the fact that the VXPs are on sale an indicator of something bad?

--Dave
Never cast one but they look nice. The sale is because they were replaced by the Accel series two summers ago.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have the 590-4 and it will be buried with me. I have also let multiple friends use it to cast dries and double nymph rigs. It is very difficult to get my rod back. If you are close to the Everett shit hole area, you are more than welcomed to cast mine if you would like
Nice recommendation! That's the kind of fly rod I've been wanting: Something that can cast dries, hefty nymphs, and bulky streamers equally well. And you're talking about a 9ft 5wt! Says a lot.

I'm leaning towards a 4-piece 6wt, as I'm already set up that way with my gear. They're currently on sale for $345.00.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Nice recommendation! That's the kind of fly rod I've been wanting: Something that can cast dries, hefty nymphs, and bulky streamers equally well. And you're talking about a 9ft 5wt! Says a lot.

I'm leaning towards a 4-piece 6wt, as I'm already set up that way with my gear. They're currently on sale for $345.00.
You cannot go wrong bro. Do it. Cabelas puts the vxp on different sales. Mine was 289.00. They were running that price a couple weeks ago. However, due to supply and demand, I would just pay the price now and get them while they are available. Keep your receipt though cause if and when they drop the price further then take your receipt up and get some money back.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You cannot go wrong bro. Do it. Cabelas puts the vxp on different sales. Mine was 289.00. They were running that price a couple weeks ago. However, due to supply and demand, I would just pay the price now and get them while they are available. Keep your receipt though cause if and when they drop the price further then take your receipt up and get some money back.
Killer!

·
Fish On!
259 Posts
I have a 590-4. I wasn't in love with it until I over lined it with a 6 wt line. That did the trick for me. Also, during a tour of the Sage factory, I was told that the VXP was actually an upgraded design built on the old RPL mandrels.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a 590-4. I wasn't in love with it until I over lined it with a 6 wt line. That did the trick for me. Also, during a tour of the Sage factory, I was told that the VXP was actually an upgraded design built on the old RPL mandrels.
Interesting mod. It should be interesting to see how my VXP (arrived yesterday!!!) loads and casts with my existing lines. A year or so ago, I upgraded my floater to what I think was a Rio Grande. It's slightly heavier towards the tip to help a rod load up with less line out. It definitely helped my TFO cast better across shorter distances. As far as distance is concerned, hauling and shooting line happens sooner with less false casting.

The transition to the Sage will be interesting. From my limited experience with them, the "less is more" philosophy makes them practically cast by themselves.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.