Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Sage X has been out for nearly one month, and while there were a number of reviews prior to its release by those who had been given rods to test, I've yet to read many new comments or reviews since then.

I had a chance to throw a few casts on the 590; it was a nice rod, but I'm still not sure what I felt about it.

It just seems strange that after all the buildup, there seems to be silence.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
My thoughts exactly when I picked up a 6 wt SageX and noticed the tiny forward stripping guide (a saltwater angler's perspective). The SageX seems to be intended to recapture the "best trout rod title" versus the NRX LP and Radian rods in the 5 wt category. I have not seen one in the 8 to 10 weight range yet, and still need to cast it versus my favorites for fun.

I have a funny feeling that the Sage Salt will be replaced by the SaltX series in the next year or two. I agree that fly rods are best purchased at a steep discount when a top notch rod series is discontinued.

Now the 6 wt Scott Meridian looks amazing for saltwater. Massive stripping guides and this series has all the power and accuracy you could every need in a fly rod. Done.

Needs bigger stripping guides.
SF

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Can you describe what areas it exceeds the Radian? Just curious.
This is entirely based on the fly shop rod shake, but it felt less stiff than the Radian, probably more forgiving on the water. The X might be a little heavier swing weight, but these rods are so light now, a little weight can be a good thing when it comes to feel.

"Way better than the Radian" might've been an exaggeration.

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
My thoughts exactly when I picked up a 6 wt SageX and noticed the tiny forward stripping guide (a saltwater angler's perspective). The SageX seems to be intended to recapture the "best trout rod title" versus the NRX LP and Radian rods in the 5 wt category. I have not seen one in the 8 to 10 weight range yet, and still need to cast it versus my favorites for fun.

I have a funny feeling that the Sage Salt will be replaced by the SaltX series in the next year or two. I agree that fly rods are best purchased at a steep discount when a top notch rod series is discontinued.

Now the 6 wt Scott Meridian looks amazing for saltwater. Massive stripping guides and this series has all the power and accuracy you could every need in a fly rod. Done.
My 697 Z-Axis is the same way. The guides are way too small. I think they just neglect the salt use and need for bigger guides for shooting line. Their saltwater series rods (Salt, Xi-3, etc) have the bigger guides. I just wonder what you gain with the smaller guides other than a tiny bit of weight loss. Seems the bigger guides would function better in pretty much every case.

·
Registered
5,158 Posts
Anybody else excited about the new Redington Predator? Just ordered the 890 yesterday. Sadly, I really wanted a new 8wt for this fall on the Yellowstone. I did need a good pike/stripers/bluefish/chum rod, so it will get used.

·
Moved to https://pnwflyfish.com
3,286 Posts
Anybody else excited about the new Redington Predator? Just ordered the 890 yesterday. Sadly, I really wanted a new 8wt for this fall on the Yellowstone. I did need a good pike/stripers/bluefish/chum rod, so it will get used.
I haven't seen anything on the new one, but generally like what Redington has done recently. I'll have to check it out.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.