Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DW,

I noticed you posted a reply mentioning this shop in ballard...

I live up on 85th and 16th, and drive by this shop everyday on my way to work.. I have been curiouse but always dismiss it as saltwater and salmon type shop??

Since you have been there, it has a good selection? I mainly just need to purchase flys from time to time.. Mostly when I forget to order them from hills and am out of what I need..

anyway give me the low down?

TT

·
Registered
28 Posts
TT,

I know this message was for DW but please check out my post on Salmon Bay on the other "shop" thread. This shop has become more and more geared toward fly fishing since Keith took over. True, he does have some non-fly gear, however, given his location in Ballard I don't see how he could surive not carrying that stuff too. Stop by and check it out. He usually has what you need and is a great guy to talk to. I am in there at least once a week.......

CC

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I second the recommendation of Salmon Bay. It's not really what you might call a flyshop in that typical "pro shop" sort of way. But I actually consider that a good thing, as Salmon Bay won't seem like some kind of club you're auditioning for the first time you go in there.

There is a lot of non-fly stuff in there, but so what? If you don't want it don't buy it. But Keith is every bit as knowledgeable a flyfisher as you'd find in any other shop, and he has done a great job of stocking the shop with quality products at competitive price points that are hard to find at the fancier specialty shops.

I know and like Keith. His shop deserves the support of any member of this board who's convenient to his location in Ballard.

·
Registered
128 Posts
YUP, pretty much what was just said above. I'm there at least once a week hangin' out. It has a great selection of flies and is becoming more and more geared torward fly fishing.

ALSO, if anyone needs any fly line...Keith is having a 'basket' sale on a bunch of misc. lines. Check them out..most of them were priced at 10 buck!

- DW

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Despite my failure to mention Salmon Bay in my post on Fly Shops (my bad...), people in the Ballard area really ought to support Keith and what he's done there. Like, is there another fly shop in that part of town? We NEED it! To be sure, SB is my first stop for things fly fishing. Keith is knowledgeable and generous with what he has to offer. My only gripe is that often the store seems well pillaged of the things I'm looking for. Then again, it might be because I'm just a johnny-come-lately when it comes to what's hot. Nonetheless, there is a pretty good selection of flies available there. So, if you're in the area and looking for goodies, it would be foolish not to swing by. Especially if you're supposed to hit the post office for stamps, it's very easy to rationalize pulling off of 15th Ave NW at the shop, knowing that you're on the correct street and only two blocks away! :AA

·
Registered
3 Posts
I shop there sometimes. Prices seem to be OK for a small shop. I really like how messed up his fly tying area is. It seems to always look like a cyclone hit it. Well lived in. He has a cool cat too. Maybe thats why its a mess... He is always helpful and enthusiastic. Perfect for purchasing flies from time to time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.