Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Smells like low tide.
7,951 Posts
Nothing current, except that it is a really beautiful place to fish and should be dropping into primo shape by tomorrow. I've only fished it three times...too low and clear on two occasions(I ended up fishing the Queets those times), and nice shape but a little late for the "early" hatchery run(which usually happens mid-Dec.) the other time I fished it, which was mid/late January last year. Some of that early run should still be in the river. I was using gear then, but next time I plan to flyfish it. Good luck!
:thumb Jimbo

·
Mother Nature's Son
1,347 Posts
Check the flows before you go. Most of the Olympic streams were running pretty high.

As for the fish, there are Steelhead in Salmon Creek, spend your time in the deeper pools. This is a relatively small piece of water so "deep" is somewhat relative. Salmon Creek was running pretty clear before the big rains though.

My suggestion is to walk below the confluence of the Queets about another 1/4 mile. There is a great piece of water that holds Steelhead and is very fishable with flies. Just check the flows!!! The Queets almost always has some color to it.

A word of caution, there are active black bears in the area. Don't keep a bacon sandwich in your back pocket (or have your buddy carry it for you)!:thumb

Skinny

·
Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
5,673 Posts
Not yet but check the USGS web page off of the Agencies links on the home page here.Look up the queets. Should give you a good picture. I would give Dave Steinbaugh a call out at Waters West, in Port Angeles. He usually knows what's going on waterwise.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.