Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stepped onto my favorite beach this morning as the tide began flooding. It was dead calm, overcast and very warm. I was alone on the beach, just the way I like it. Small schools of fry were in the shallows. I made a succession of 60' casts straight out against the current, waited for the belly to form and began a series of long slow strips with releases of line in between. It wasn't long before the first dollie followed the popper all the way into the shallows. Since I was by by myself I didn't take any photos of the 20+ inch fish (small dollies don't venture out into the salt) but I took a shot of my popper after all the "eats."

Leland.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
So does the fish nip the tail of the fly or hammer the head? Question answered! Nice report Leland.

·
Long Lost Member
20,209 Posts
I just played that through my little fish sized brain and it was truly funny. Thank you sir, it has been a stressful day!

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
AK,
Just to clarify, what Leland was catching are anadromous bull trout and not Dolly Varden. Those of us that have fished for them for a long time sometimes still refer to them as Dollies even though we know better. The only Dolly Varden found in Washington state inhabit small, high-elevation tributaries, usually above permanent barriers to migratory species, in the Cascades and Olympics and rarely grow beyond dink size. By the way, I'm giving a couple of programs on bull trout fishing at the Ellensburg Fly Fishing Fair this weekend.

·
just tryin' to keep the skunk off
28 Posts
Preston, Leland & others-

As someone who's spent a lot of time on Puget Sound beaches in search of cutthroat, what are the main types of features that differentiate a good cuttie beach from a good dolly/anadromous bull beach. I'm always on the lookout for a rocky, structured beach with moving water and oysters if possible, but I have no clue what to look for I were specifically targeting dollies. It'd be a lot of fun to be able to expand my puget sound fishing reperatoire beyond cutthroat and salmon.

I didn't see much in a quick search through old threads, so I was hoping someone here could help me out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.